Importing DV tapes.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Norris, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

I'm using Studio 8, and have the options of importing the DV tapes as DV format or MPEG 2 format. Would DV format be recommended if I want to archive the recorded videos? Assume I import under DV format, can they be burned onto a DVD disc?

Thanks,

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

DV uses much less "compression" than mpeg-2 so it would be a better archival method as far as PQ goes. I put compression in quotes because DV is fixed at a hefty 25mbps, much higher than mpeg-2. Plus all the frames are I-frames, great for video editing.

Only way to get your DV archives onto a DVD for playback in a standalone machine is to re-compress them to mpeg-2.

Archiving tape vs disc is another issue though. A burned optical disc may last longer, provided it's from a good manufacturer, especially if you plan on playing the tapes over & over again.

3. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Despite the high 25 Mbps bitrate, DV is still compressed, because uncompressed video would be almost 250 Mbps (4:4:4 720x480 @ 30fps). 4:1:1 subsampling cuts the sample size in half and then a 5:1 DCT-based compression does the rest.

If you transfer video to the computer using 1394, then DV format files will be bit-for-bit identical to what's on the DV tape.

You can burn DV files as a data DVD. It won't play in a DVD player but it would be a data archive accessible from any PC's DVD-ROM drive. At 25 Mbps there would be space for about 25 minutes on a 4.7GB disc.

4. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

DV as we know it (ie. from a miniDV camera) has a data rate of 3.6Mbps. You'll be able to fit quite a bit more than 25 min on a data DVD.

Uncompressed DV (DV-50, I think it's called) has the huge 25Mbps data rate.

Cheers

5. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

DV is 25 megabits per second.

DV-50 is 50 megabits per second. It's not uncompressed either. It just doesn't have as much compression.

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

7. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

[​IMG] ok that's making sense now. Stupid bits/bytes confusion..

9. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

So if I want to preserve the raw footages I have to be edited at a later time, would you all recommend that I import those tapes into the PC via 1394 as DV formats? Then I can use Nero to burn the material onto 4.7 GB DVD-R blanks at about 30 minutes per disc? And I can read this DVDs only from a PC-based DVD-ROM drive right? What software can I use to read these discs? I use Power DVD to play movie DVDs but I don't suppose this will work.

Thanks a lot!

10. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

You should be able to play these DV AVI files with Windows Media Player, or any similar type of program.

As for splitting the AVI files into 4.7 GB segments, you can use Virtual Dub to split your files. You may also have to install the Panasonic VFW DV Codec in order to open your DV AVI files in VirtualDub.

11. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

Thank you all, great input. Learn something new everyday! Got a new project for me, what with 30+ DV tapes! [​IMG]