Important question... buy Toshiba HDTV now or wait a week or even a couple of months?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy M, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Jeremy M

Jeremy M Agent

I just got my Best Buy credit card approved today and am looking to purchase a Toshiba 56-65" HDTV-ready set (through a 'no interest for 1 year' financing program).
    First off, if not too much trouble, could it be explained or (if easier) show me a web site that has the specs... but just what are the differences between the **H81 series and **HX81 series of new Toshiba HDTV-ready TVs... I'm more interested in seeing or hearing about the video/visual differences over the audio contrasts.
    Here's my predicament... I want to wait for at least the new **H81's (to at least see the new improvements over the **H80), but right now Best Buy is offering free shipping on big-screen TVs over $1200. I realize that these new **H81's are supposed to ship to retailers and be available to us consumers around August 1, and I also know that date is slightly more than a week away, but I don't know if the free shipping on $1200+ TVs, from BB, ends on July 31. I want the 'best for my dollar', but if I can save a little on free shipping... what can I say, that's a deal all its own.
    So what suggestions would you all make? Order a 65H80 within a couple of days to make sure I get the free shipping or wait and pay a few extra $100s for the new **H81's, plus the (possible) extra bucks on shipping?
    Thanks to all for the helpful info in advance.
    P.S. - I am only looking at Toshiba for those who might like to offer their opinions on different brands. I maybe would have once considered looking at Sony's, but I saw one in action at a local store and despite its large screen size, was not very impressed with it.
    Thanks again.

2. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Agent

Jeremy
    I can only offer a general piece of info on this but it may help.
    A good friend of mine who is a widely syndicated consumer electronics editor just got back from the Toshiba press intro of the new line. He said the differences between the old and new lines is phenomenal. He said that many of the journalists from high end "techy" magazines just couldn't figure out how the sets looked so much better and still would sell so cheaply. In fact they were kind of pissed that they couldn't find anything negative to report about them.
    Bottomline is that they all agreed that, while the old line Cinema Series is great, the new stuff is HUGELY better and may well raise the bar for the industry. My friend left me in no doubt that waiting for the new Toshiba lineup is the way to go. At least that's what he's doing.
    MTN

3. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

Has Best Buy stopped sending out the 10% off coupons? I used to get those what seemed like once a month until recently. Anyway, if you're waiting anyway, see if one of these show up in the mail in the next few weeks, that would save you another $250-350 or so off your TV.

4. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

This subject is near and dear to me seeing that i have a two week old 65H80. If i new what i would be paying for a new 65h81 then perhaps i would return this set. There is going to be a gap between the new ones hitting the floor and my 30 day return policy expiring. Dont know what to do..

5. Scott Stieglitz

Scott Stieglitz Auditioning

Perry,
    It seems like Best Buy does "Preferred Customer" weekends about 2-3 times a year. This is when I always get the 10% off coupons. I think they time it so that I get the coupons whenever I don't need them. [​IMG]

6. Doug Latham

Doug Latham Auditioning

I was looking at getting the 65H80 also from Best Buy. I found there price to be very high. But after looking around
    a few web sites I found that I can get the set for a great deal less then what BB wants. This includes shipping. This isn't a plug for the site, but try this sitewww.ecost.com
    Now I;m not sure if Best Buy will match any lower prices, but hey it don't hurt to ask
    ------------------

7. Eric Levesque

Eric Levesque Auditioning

8. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

9. Chad Hendrickson

I'm confused...
    Which is better? The 65H81 or the 65HX81?
    What are the diferences? Also, what are the MSRPs for both?
    ------------------

10. Jeremy M

Jeremy M Agent

Thanks for all the helpful and informative posts, guys. Much appreciated. But I think I have it figured out as to what I'm gonna do...
    I will either end my patience and settle for a 50H81 when they become available from BB, or wait a few more weeks for the 57" (if applicable to my living room situation). I am going to do some measurements of my living room and where it is that I will be putting the new TV, so that I can figure out if I should go with the 50H81 or can wait (if can stand the wait) for the 57". Something else that is pushing my impatience in waiting for the 57" is that I will be on vacation the week of Aug. 13, if not the week of the 6th, as well. So (hopefully!) the 50" can be had, and delivered, in that time period for me.
    Again, thanks for all the helpful info and advice... please, keep it coming if have something to offer.
    ------------------

11. Roy C.

Roy C. Second Unit

Jeremy,
    if you looked on the Best Buy website you will see that they now have the 50H81 showing available and with free shipping! This is good!
    Later,
    Roy C.
    ------------------

12. Jeremy M

Jeremy M Agent

Roy,
    Thanks and I did come across that earlier today on BB's site. But small problem... the danged website won't let me go through the checkout process! It lets me start the process with other Toshiba's (as well as other brands of HDTVs), but I get an error message about the request not going through becase of too much traffic at the time or some other bogus crap.
    I can't figure it out, why just the 50H81 it does this. Even if they can't deliver me a set for a week or two, they should at least allow me to try and pre-order a set to be delivered at a later date.
    Thanks again.
    Jeremy
    ------------------

13. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

Yummy. [​IMG] 34HF81
    34" widescreen direct view with HDTV and 3:2 pulldown. [​IMG] I wonder what they'll charge for this. I betcha 25-50% more than what I paid for my CW34XC2 and my RP91 combined.
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

14. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Eugene, the RCA 38" 16X9 with HD receiver and Direct TV receiver built in for $2500 would be much more appealing to me than ANY 34" 16X9.