Important info for people receiving SVS+ Subs this week

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn Sefranek, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

Make sure you don’t accidentally throw out the “Port-Blocker” when you are unpacking.
    I didn’t know what it would look like and actually overlooked it in the first box I unpacked.
    It looks EXACTLY like the packing foam and if you don’t know it you may toss the thing out.
    I have both installed and it really makes the Subs run deeper then my previous Subs, the “regular” 20-39’s.
    Shawn S
    Here is a photo with the grill removed and the one port installed:
    [​IMG]

2. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

Nice pics give us some more! My two cs+ have shipped and will be here Tuesday!

3. gene avallon

gene avallon Stunt Coordinator

thanks ill get them out of the trash can.

gene:b :b

4. Shawn Sefranek

5. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Thanks for the tip on that Shawn.

A late great idea on the staff was to include a sheet with computer sims done by Tom showing the effects of using a plug on each model Plus, and the Ultras. Unfortunately the sheet missed the first few shipments of subs. I'll be hanging a web version of this new addition to the CS-Plus/Ultra manuals for those subs tonight.

The plugs will be available in a week or so as an accessory for Ultra owners already in the field ($4,95 plus shipping...CHEAP! ;^). Note, the plug is NOT some sort of magic bass panacea. It does not allow SVS or you to defy the laws of physics. In short, the various Plus subs are already optimized for their respective tunes (CS-Ultra included). Nonetheless, the plug, along with our new anti-resonance grill design, allows very quick and easy user experimentation with the next step lower tune. And users might well prefer the results. We let you choose now. (So a 20-39CS-Plus mimics a stock 16-46Plus. A 25-31CS-Plus mimics a 20-39CS-Plus etc.) The key here is MIMIC. There will be a loss in total capability above the new tuning point, and a sub with a port block in will still fall short some of the sub it's "mimicing". The sheets now shipping with Plus and Ulltra subs will show this graphically.

Watch the SVS News page for a link to the Plus and Ultra tuning sheets in printable form. Anyone ordering now will get one packed in their accessory bag.

Sorry for the inconvenience, it's been a busy month but we're largely caught up now with full pipelines. And yet still more new announcements coming up too.

"i"

Ron

6. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

lol, I had the same experience. I thought they had forgotten to include the plug and almost threw it out. Then it hit me that that might actually be the plug...

How do you remove the grill? I haven't been able to figure that out and don't want to try and force anything and end up breaking it. Also, is it okay to run the sub without a grill while comparing plugged vs non-plugged?

I'll be very interested to see those comparison charts, Ron...

7. Shawn Sefranek

8. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Guys,
    For those shorted on the sheet speaking to your included port tuning block, here's a virtual copy on our site. Please print it out if you are missing one. Study the charts to understand just what tradeoffs are made with the lower tune you get with one port blocked.
    http://www.svsubwoofers.com/csplus_ultratuning.htm
    Ron

9. Glen_L

Glen_L Stunt Coordinator

Hey Ron,

How about the three bits of foam under the grill? Are they there to stop grill resonances, or just to pad the grill during shipping? I'd like to take them out if I can, but they seem to be glued on. Is it safe to pull them out?

10. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Glen,

Remove them and the gods of bass will be very disturbed!

They are indeed there to eliminate grill resonance. We had earlier used rubber backed screws to hold the grill DOWN but the foam spacers are much easier to assemble, allow VERY quick removal of the grill for cleaning and port access, PLUS also are designed to be less prone to shipping damage than the screw arrangement.

Oh, and there are about 100 man hours in design, testing, and manufacturer coordination in those simple adhesive backed blocks so remove them and I'm pretty sure a guy named "Ernie the Enforcer" will be coming to pay you a visit ;^)

Ron