Importance of timbre matched speakers??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn.G, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

I know it is important to get the same timbre matched speakers for the front. Does this restrict you to buy the same brand speaker or is there some other spec that will make the speakers match. Also, is it very important to have the rears match? Thank you.

2. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

How important is it to have a Polk center channel w/ Polk mains. Meaning, do I have to buy a Polk center channel to have the speakers timbre matced w/ the Polk mains, or is there another way to have different brands of speaker be timbre matched?

3. Jeff-Watson

Jeff-Watson Stunt Coordinator

Shawn,

I have all Polk speakers and it definitely is a bonus to have you speakers timbre matched. Before I added a polk center to the mix the Sony center I was using sounded horribly out of tune with my Polk mains. It sounded like two different people speaking as the sound moved across the front. Now granted I am still a little new at this but I think the front three speakers are important to timbre match and the rears are not quite as important. Still after replacing my rears with Polk there is a marked improvement in the smooth flow of the sound through all five channels. Just not as noticeable from the rears as through the front.

4. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

I think timbre matching is hugely important.

I'm running a 7.1 set-up and I went to great lengths to ensure my speakers not only came from the same manufacturer, but also were from the same line, using identical tweeters and mid drivers all around.

The panning from surround effects is seamless - important to convey the sense of realism. Timbre matching is well worth it.

Regards,

Ed

5. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

So the only way to have the speakers match is for them to come from the same company?

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Shawn,

It's not the only way, but it's definitely the easiest way. I'm running a completely different center as my mains (an Adire LCC with a pair of GR Research A/V-1+'s), and it works great. But it was purely luck. If I hadn't won the LCC on another forum I would have just built a 3rd A/V-1+.

7. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I would say it is critical! Just today I bought a set of Paradigm Atoms to complete my 5.1 set(timbre-matched anyway). Before I was using some cheap Kenwoods which didn't sound terrible, but definetly did not sound the same as, my Titan mains and CC-170. Now front to back pans sound awesome and the sound seems much more seamless.

I also found that when a sub is used, it is very difficult to tell the Titans from the Atoms.

8. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

Another thought.

Shouldn't most "high-end" speakers be timbre-matched since they are all striving to have no coloration of the sound?

9. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

10. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

11. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter