Importance of speaker stands

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Larry J, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Larry J

Larry J Agent

I am building a home theater and will not be able to mount my surround speakers to the wall (Paradigm Mini-Monitors). Can anyone recommend good speaker stands and how can I make sure they are stable (I have a three year old)[​IMG]

2. Larry J

Larry J Agent

I am building a home theater and will not be able to mount my surround speakers to the wall (Paradigm Mini-Monitors). Can anyone recommend good speaker stands and how can I make sure they are stable (I have a three year old)[​IMG]

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If we learn nothing from having kids, we learn that they are fully capable of defeating our best efforts to protect them.
    If you buy a speaker stand that's heavy or that can be weighted down with either sand or lead, you run the risk of your child running into the stand or pushing causing it to be unstable and either causing the speakr to fall or the whole thing to topple over. Where it lands might not be pleasant.
    You might want to consider means whereby whatever speaker stand you buy has the capabilities of being firmly anchored to the floor.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If we learn nothing from having kids, we learn that they are fully capable of defeating our best efforts to protect them.
    If you buy a speaker stand that's heavy or that can be weighted down with either sand or lead, you run the risk of your child running into the stand or pushing causing it to be unstable and either causing the speakr to fall or the whole thing to topple over. Where it lands might not be pleasant.
    You might want to consider means whereby whatever speaker stand you buy has the capabilities of being firmly anchored to the floor.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Since you're asking for specific purchasing advice, I've moved your thread here. The Basics area is strictly for general discussion at the beginner level, not for asking about make/model recommendations.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Since you're asking for specific purchasing advice, I've moved your thread here. The Basics area is strictly for general discussion at the beginner level, not for asking about make/model recommendations.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

tbh, i think the best choice is simply teaching your child.

when i moved in with my fiancee, at the time her twins were four. i was pretty nervous about setting up my system for them to touch, break, etc. but i gotta admit after just a couple of times they learned to be very careful and (generally) stay away from the stuff. it never became a problem. [​IMG]

but, believe me, i know where you're coming from. [​IMG]

is anchoring the stands to the floor an option? i agree with chu that it may not be a great idea to have a really heavy stand that could still fall on a child.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

tbh, i think the best choice is simply teaching your child.

when i moved in with my fiancee, at the time her twins were four. i was pretty nervous about setting up my system for them to touch, break, etc. but i gotta admit after just a couple of times they learned to be very careful and (generally) stay away from the stuff. it never became a problem. [​IMG]

but, believe me, i know where you're coming from. [​IMG]

is anchoring the stands to the floor an option? i agree with chu that it may not be a great idea to have a really heavy stand that could still fall on a child.

9. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Yes, it's amazing how well young children respond to death threats! [​IMG]

10. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Yes, it's amazing how well young children respond to death threats! [​IMG]