What's new

importance of native resolution (1 Viewer)

manxral

Auditioning
Real Name
hanno miltova
im currently looking at some projectors. and i cant figure something out. if it says
the native RES is 4:3 and 16:9 compatibale what does that mean? is it bad for HT , is it good? why is it important to get a native 16:9 ? if they all are compatibale with each resolution , why is the native RES so improtant?

i mean - if i buy a native 4:3 which is 16:9 compatibale , why is that bad?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
4:3 is at one end of the gamut of common aspect ratios so if your projector (or TV) is natively 4:3, then as the aspect ratio increase, you get progressively smaller pictures in terms of square feet.

16:9 for a native aspect ratio is in the middle so as the program material of different aspect ratios is viewed your picture is more nearly the same size each time. 1.85:1 is one of the more common aspect ratios for movies and is closest to the largest picture size while 4:3 (1.33:1) and 2.35:1 will be smaller.

Most persons after getting used to wide screen prefer the latter.

There are even some folks looking forward to 2.35:1 native projectors (will any exist?), near the other end of the gamut of aspect ratios, because they watch so little 4:3 material as not to mind that the 4:3 pictures will be the smallest.

Also, if the projector's resolution is less than about 768 vertically, having a native 4:3 aspect ratio means it cannot display regular DVD (480 high) 16:9 and wider screen programs with full resolution even if it has a 16:9 mode selection.

manxral

Auditioning
Real Name
hanno miltova
so, if i prefer a wide screen image , and i want the projector to display it
as wide and as big a possible , i should get a native 16:9 projector with an ability of 1024x768?
also, i guess i need to buy a 16:9 screen..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks