What's new

Import versions of two 1954 MGM musicals? (1 Viewer)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Both with Ann Blyth.

I usually patiently wait for U.S. Region 1 releases. Don't have much experience ordering imported DVDs. But I was wondering if anybody here owns the imported DVD versions noted below and could comment on them.

First, THE STUDENT PRINCE (1954). There appears to be a Region 0 version from Korea available. Apparently the audio is English, with subtitles in Korean or English that can be turned off. It's also widescreen, although some product descriptions (Ebay) say full screen. I get the sense that maybe there are two versions out there, an older full screen one and a newer widescreen version (?).

LINK REMOVED

Second, ROSE MARIE (1954). A version is available from Brazil. Audio in English, but the DVD menus and packaging in Portuguese. Similar questions.

LINK REMOVED

I don't know if Warners (I assume these MGM films belong to them) has plans to release these in the U.S., perhaps via the Archives program. Could be next month, could be in 5 years or longer? If these reasonably priced imports are of good quality I'd be tempted to get them.

So are these legitimate versions? They seem to be. Are they anamorphic? Comments on their quality?

Any information is appreciated.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
The Student Prince DVD looks to be fullscreen. I would record it off of TCM the next time they show it. There's is widesreen and stereo sound.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Glenn,

We have been in contact with Warner Bros. and they verified
that these are indeed bootlegs and that the studio is working
with Amazon to have them removed.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Okay, thanks for the information Ron. I just figured if Amazon has them listed it must be legit, but I guess not necessarily so.

In the meantime, Warners, since you're paying attention, how about releasing some Region 1 DVDs of these classic musicals, archive or otherwise. Of course, I'd prefer Blu-ray, but I doubt that's very realistic at this point.

Roland, I've actually been waiting for the Student Prince to be shown on TCM for quite awhile now. I'll keep watching for it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Glenn,

I think I can say this. The studio is looking on getting these out
in traditional manner. The problem is they need a lot of work before
they can be released.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Sounds good. Hopefully it won't take them too long.

These would make sense as part of another "Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory" box set, maybe also including The Great Caruso. Hopefully enough strong titles can be put together to support a normal release and not just the Archives for these.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

I have a copy that I recorded onto VHS tape a long time ago. I haven't seen it since on TCM.

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
THE STUDENT PRINCE VERSION FROM BRAZIL IS FINE, IF YOU CAN FIND IT., STEREO, WIDESCREEN BUT NOT ANAMORPHIC. PICTURE QUALITY IS REASONABLE, VERY GOOD ON A 42" OR SMALLER TV. WELL WORTH IT. KEEP REQUESTING IT AT WARNER ARCHIVE . I HAVE, MANY TIMES TO NO AVAIL. SURPRISED AT THE DELAY AS THE MAJORITY OF THE WARNER ARCHIVE RELEASES ARE NOT "BIG" FILMS (I.E. SUCCESSFUL OR CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED). "PRINCE" WAS A HUGE HIT IN UK AND AUSTRALIA, AND OK IN THE USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks