What's new

Import Shenmue 2 NOW! (1 Viewer)

MathewM

Stunt Coordinator
I'm so glad now that when I attempted to cancel my order through gameplay UK that they had already shipped it to me.

I'll avoid writing a full review at this time since I've only just started Shenmue 2, but I have to say that it's excellent so far. There's more action packed within the first 30 minutes of Shenmue 2 than the first disc of its precusor alone. Sure the dramatic angle so far is cartoonish, but thats some of it's charm. For those in fear of subtitles in their video games, don't be so close minded. I was one, many times wishing for subtitles in the original due to both the unintentionally funny dubbing and the fact that here you have this engrossing, beautifully recreated foreign environment and then are sucked out of it everytime a character opens their mouth. With Shenmue 2 the dialogue is elementary in nature which translates very straight. Through the dozens of converations I've had so far, not once have I been distracted by the subtitles.

Unfortunately the graphics do tax the Dreamcast to the point where there is slow down and characters have a tendency to fade in and out, which is distracting. This was a problem with the original too which probably could of been fixed, however Yu Suzuki decided to expand the world so much that technically we're still stuck with same problem. I trully wish that the Xbox version would of been released sooner because this game could of been a baton hand off between the two systems.

Anyway it's still a year + before we'll see the Xbox version, which may or may not leave the original Japanese language intact (if Sega does decide to dub it, hopefully they'll have the option for Japanese w/subtitles). For those with a Dreamcast manufactured before October 2000 (important because you'll need a boot disc, and latter models will not work with one), and you remotely liked the first one import this game now.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Is it revolutionary though?
:laugh: :emoji_thumbsup:
Brian I cant tell you how funny that was.
Glad to hear the game turned out great. I was thinking about importing it but I may just wait for the X-box version. Your more than welcome to convince me otherwise though:D

MathewM

Stunt Coordinator
Compared to the latest 128 bit Mario spin off, I would say yes it is revolutionary. Shenmue 2 engages more than any xbox or gamecube game I've played so far. It advances the virtual reality concept that so many game designers have failed to acomplish. You can pick on the limitations of the 'Free' concept all you want, but point out a game that combines a concise sense of time and place with enjoyable gameplay.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Compared to the latest 128 bit Mario spin off, I would say yes it is revolutionary. Shenmue 2 engages more than any xbox or gamecube game I've played so far. It advances the virtual reality concept that so many game designers have failed to acomplish. You can pick on the limitations of the 'Free' concept all you want, but point out a game that combines a concise sense of time and place with enjoyable gameplay
Sorry, Matthew, I was having a dig at another thread - bit of an 'in-joke' as Rommel explained.

It does sound really impressive & improved from the first one. I know friends in the UK that have it have really enjoyed it - especially on the 2nd & 3rd disks where they say it really kicks into gear.

Looking forward to it.

MathewM

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I just read through the linked thread. Entertaining read. It's funny how whennever a Morgan Jolly post shows up, the thread slowly erodes into a redundant epic of nonsense. I dislike the term 'revolutionary' and it seems like every developer throws out the description at one time or another. When the term starts getting thrown around by 'fanboys' then it gets really ugly. I'm overall a casual gamer (comparatively speaking) and it usually takes a really interesting game for me to consider buying it, much less completing it. I feel silly saying this about a video game, but life changing seems more accurate description. When I'm not playing the game and living my normal life and I'm paralleling the two (what would Ryo do in this situation?) then it gets scary ;) which means that its a really good game.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
I'll have to hold out and deprive myself of this hoping for an improved XBox version. I'd love to see this game have bumpmapping and the like. If Sega was really smart, they'd put the first Shenmue on the game as well, so other who didn't play the first could figure out the story a little better.
I can't wait for the third edition either, I have a feeling that's going to be something truly revolutionary,errr I mean special. :D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The sad part is that I didn't have to enter this thread for it to degrade. Shows how mature the rest of you are.

And there's and E in my last name.

MathewM

Stunt Coordinator
OT:

Sorry about the mis-spelling of your last name, Morgan. I wouldn't fret over what other people think of your posts. I'm sure you're well intentioned and want your views to be known. However, it would bode well for you to re-read before you post. Try not to be redundant (stay on topic) and instead of adding a criticism to the topic think of something positive. Unless you really have a valid complaint....as the old saying goes: If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. Of course none of us are perfect, and it is very easy to lash out at someone else (like several of us have done to you on occassion) when you're dealing with such an impersonal medium as the HTF.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Back to topic:

Mathew,

How are the QTE events in Shenmue 2. I heard that they had done some major revisions to them to make them more enjoyable? What do you think so far?

MathewM

Stunt Coordinator
The QTE's seem to have more relevance. It's been about a year since I beat the original but I seem to remember the QTE's being rather out of place (catching a soccer ball before it flies out into the road to save a kids life etc.). In Shenmue 2, there's a chase early on that had me entertained by the slapstick nature of it. I ended up screwing up one too many times and failed it, however instead of illogically starting the chase over the game allowed me to accomplish the feat through other means. On a negative note, I've found one QTE that I wasn't expecting which required me to wait until the next day to complete. As you can tell, I don't have the quickest reflexes in the world. I've blown quite of bit of money on arm wrestlng (for some odd reason it's hugely popular in the game) trying to get the timing right. Money becomes an issue early on, and right away you have to find ways of making it, whether it be betting on arm wrestling, gambling, part time job or pawning off those geeky little trinkets. Unfortunately I've passed on the arcade already because I'm trying to be thrifty (as well as not having time). Did I mention how huge this game is? Already on the first disc I would say the game is twice as big as all of Shenmue 1 put together. It's also much better paced. In Shenmue 1, I found myself sometimes leaving the game unpaused and walking off to fix myself dinner just to kill gametime. In this chapter I find myself rushing to get stuff done.

Also for those worried about transfering your vmu save game from the original over, don't fret it's not worth it, because of an event that happens early on.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Does the UK version allow you to continue from your US VMU save? Can the data be converted if it's not?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The sad part is that I didn't have to enter this thread for it to degrade.
LOL, Morgan. If I was in a particularly sarcastic mood, I'd say that's the influence you have on us all.

Thankfully, I'm not though: the long hard slog this week has been is finally paying off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks