IMPORT SACD HELP NEEDED! Roxy Music, Groove Armada, Bryan Ferry...

Discussion in 'Music' started by Rich Malloy, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Hi Friends and Neighbors,

I'd like to make a bulk purchase of import SACDs (at least a few titles to keep down shipping costs), and I'm wondering if anyone's found the following for a good price:

Roxy Music "BEST OF" (already have the wunnerful "AVALON")
    Groove Armada "VERTIGO", "LOVEBOX"
    Bryan Ferry "FRANTIC"

(Any other import recommendations?)

2. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Rich,

I ordered Spandau Ballet's "True" SACD through Amazon UK. Very quick turnaround; got the disc delivered within a week of placing order. The SACD of "True" is excellent....you can read about it here and at SACDinfo.com.

3. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Rich:

Once you receive those Groove Armada discs, PLEASE post a review of them. I want to see if Jive (their label) has remastered them. All of three of my Armada CDs have a rather loud (over-compressed?) sound to them & the upper mids kind of shout at me, enough to where I usually have to turn down my treble control.

But especially, these are some of the first modern & non-obscure pop/chillout albums to be issued in MCH form and I want to see how they mixed them.

LJ

4. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

I just got the Groove Armada "Vertigo" delivered to me via www.Amazon.co.uk. I think that it might be anyone's best bet to get all the SACDs Rich mentions (with the exception of maybe "Frantic") from www.Amazon.co.uk. (It appears to me that "Frantic" isn't stocked at amazon.co.uk.)

I now have all 3 Groove Armada SACDs, and although I do not have the CDs for comparison, I would say that the MCH aspects of the Groove Armada albums are interesting and fairly aggressive.

The overall sound of the SACDs, in both MCH and stereo, is good but not stellar. It shows that these are "digital" recordings - so they aren't the best sounding SACDs I own. I wouldn't say that they, the SACD layers, are any where near over-compressed - so you might be happier with the way they sound. I haven't listened to the redbook layers on these hybrid SACDs, since I have no reason to personally.

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Rich, King Crimson's IN THE COURT OF...is due ths month, The Human League (which I find to be inhumane to listen to, personally)has a release, as does Tangerine Dream, then there's the original Mike Oldfield TUBULAR BELLS. I don't know why Michael is discouraging you from getting FRANTIC. I think it's quite good myself. Best wishes!

6. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

7. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Thanks all! It seems amazon's the only real alternative right now (wish amazon.fr had these titles in, as they've often had better prices in the past).

And I appreciate the review of the Groove Armada discs. There are three, Michael? I was thinking "Vertigo" and "Lovebox" were out, but I seem to recall something about "Goodbye Country" maybe? Which would you recommend to the novice?

Good recommendations, Rachel! I've got "Tubular Bells", and I was considering picking up the King Crimson. Do we have a streetdate on that one? And I do want to get "Frantic", but it doesn't seem to be in-stock anywhere.

One last request for info/reviews: the Penguin Cafe Orchestra. Anybody? [​IMG]

8. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

I like "Goodbye Country" a bit better than "Lovebox" - as "Goodbye Country" is seemingly less commercial sounding, and incorporates more ambient/dub excursions than "Lovebox". (I am a big fan or reggae and dub music, even when it isn't specifically performed by reggae artists.)

Seeing how I just got "Vertigo", and haven't listened to it yet, I can't comment. I was also a novice regarding Groove Armada when I bought "Goodbye Country" on SACD, basing my decision to purchase on word-of-mouth and internet reviews. I liked the album a lot, so when "Lovebox" was available I jumped on it. Now that "Vertigo" was just released (and supposed to be one of their best albums - maybe on par with "Goodbye Country") I jumped on that one also.

If you can't find "Goodbye Country" at amazon.co.uk, you can get it from www.superaudio-cd.com which is where I had to obtain my copy.

9. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I like Vertigo the best. Then Goodbye....., then Love Box.

Vertigois the most "chilled" of these three albums. The other titles have their downtempo moments but (especially Love Box) are mostly danceable funkish stuff. It is good stuff, but I have to be in the right mood to listen to it.

This is another chill album I would love to hear in surround form.

LJ

10. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Michael, oh.[​IMG] Well, now for something completely different...[​IMG]

Rich, they promised me KC sometime this month. I'll have to go check the files for the day. This was Music Depot. I hope it's on time. Some of us have been waiting on this one for well over a year. Doesn't it seem like SACD releases have slowed down just lately? R they pressing Dylan everywhere, maybe? Go click on it at www.musicdepot.com

I'm pretty sure that's where I preordred it...? I think I got FRANTIC from either Acoustic Sounds or Elusive Disc. I'm sure one or both had it, even if they don't now. It could be out of print presently? You have to doubt that they pressed all that many for the first go? New format and all...? I hope you find it! Best wishes guyz![​IMG]

11. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Thanks everyone for your help, reviews, etc. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find Bryan Ferry's "FRANTIC" in stock anywhere (even acoustic sounds now has it backordered), and nor can I find Groove Armada's "Goodbye Country (Hello Nightclub). Hopefully, in the next order of imports...

I ended up purchasing these from amazon.uk:
    A Brief History [SACD] Penguin Cafe Orchestra
    Lovebox [SACD] Groove Armada
    Vertigo [SACD] Groove Armada
    The Best Of Roxy Music [SACD] Roxy Music

I believe there's only a single copy of "Vertigo" left in stock!