What's new

Import Player w/ DVI? + High End Players, Any? (1 Viewer)

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking about laying out a quick $300 on a player with a DVI output, but its gonna need to be an all-region pal converting deck because about 100 or so of my discs are imports. I know it will probably be either the Samsung or the Bravo, but has anyone ever seen one of these players sold as an import player? the pal conversion isnt essential, as i am basically just trying to get a good image. Also, maybe either the samsung or bravo just need a remote hack? any input is appreciated.

Also.... why is it that nobody seems to buy high-end import players? all i see is "Whats the cheapest deal?" "Must be under $300", "Can usually be found for under $180"

Are there any respectable high-end import players even out there? b/c i never hear about it... i know HK sells 2 of the Elites... 45a and 47ai i believe, but they dont convert PAL, and my guy over there said it was due to thier chip not alowing it... but what about Denon, NAD, and other such brands?

Jeff Mason

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not too familiar with DVI, so please forgive my ignorance. If VGA falls within the realm of DVI, Malata makes a player with a VGA output that will play all regions and will flawlessly convert PAL to NTSC and vice versa.

Check out the model at:

http://www.hkflix.com/hardware/malata_dvp-520vga.asp

It has the Mediamatics 2 chip, which is decent. HKFlix sells the unit for $299.00 U.S. Does this qualify as high end?

RobD

Second Unit
The Pioneer DV-868AVI might be what your looking for and more but it will be around $1200!

Spec:
HDMI Output
I-Link/Firewire Audio Out
Pal and NTSC Progressive Scan
DVD-Audio and SACD Support

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
Rob... that is what i am looking for, but i was thinking more around 7-900, rather than 12... but also i dont know anything about that HDMI port that its got on it... i know my monitor doesnt support it.. at least if the diagram on the site i looked at was correct. it might be the PAL version of a dvi (i have a hitachi, so no firewire) somewhat related to the SCART you guys use. But i was excited to see that it will convert pal-ntsc, and does multiple region...
i am still going to have to keep looking, but thanks.

Jeff
I havent seen the rear of any new computer monitors, so i dont know if what they are using now is compatible with the DVI interface on my television, aside from that.. the malata is a good player, with an even better reputation, but i have heard things that make me doubt the company's quality control.. such as players arriving from shipment with broken/not fully assembled parts, ie butons, tray faces, and such.

RobD

Second Unit
Kyle,

HDMI is pretty much DVI + Sound in one (Kind of like scart). As far as I know cheap adapters exist to break out the DVI signal. The Pioneer also has the new Pioneer Video scaler (T-Rex). Heres a link:
http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/dv868avi/index.htm

If you dont need the I-Link then the model below might be an excellent choice:
http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/dv668av/index.htm

Remember UK prices include 17.5% sales tax which you shouldnt have to pay (This should easily cover overseas shipping).

Jeff Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Well, from what little research I've done, VGA and DVI are compatible, but VGA is analog, so that won't help you I guess. I've been happy/lucky with my Malata, but I have heard some complaints. They do have offices in Canada that offer support (for future reference).

Good luck!

RichD

Agent
Just to second Al Stuart -- the Momitsu V880 has everything you're looking for (perfect PAL conversion, DVI, all-region, $300).

It's a bit buggy, but the picture quality is worth it.

RobD

Second Unit
I think you may want to strongly consider the Pioneer DV-668AV. It Offers the following for $700ish (Inc Approx delivery):
Multi Region
HDMI Out (Easy convert to DVI, Kinda like DVI Scart)
SACD and DVD-Audio Support
5.1 Out
Pal and NTSC Progressive Scan
Video Scaling to 720P (Possibly others not sure)

AlexBC

Second Unit
Kyle,

most Denon players can be easily set to Region-Free by firmware change, though they still won't do any PAL-NTSC coversion. The procedure is basically to burn a CD-R and insert it into the player + a sequence of keystrikes on the remote control.

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
Alex, thats interesting to know and a tempting thought...
but Rob's Pioneer seems to be at top for considderation... but when you are using an adapter to break out a particualr, or reorganize a signal, will if harm the signal, giving me an image that isnt truly worth it... i dont see how the upconverted image wouldn't still be better than what i currently have with my semi-bargain JVC at 480. Plus i looked into the Momitsu that Al mentioned, but im not too sure, ive never heard of the brand.

Paul Harrison

Auditioning
Hi all,

I was looking at the Pioneer DV-668AV and thinking of purchasing one to go with my new Samsung HLN567W DLP TV.

Before making a decision, I decided to download the manual for the Pioneer from their website (I wish all the manufacturers did this) and came across a problem - the 668AV only supports 480P and 576P resolutions on the HDMI output. I don't know whether this is common, but I know the Samsung doesn't support 576P resolution.

The DV-868 supports 480P, 576P, 480I, 576I, 720P and 1080I resolutions (ideal as the native resolution of the HLN567W, and I assume most DLP TVs, is 720P).

Looks like I'll have to stump up the extra cash for the DV-868 then.

Just wanted to offer this as a word of warning to those thinking of importing a DVI player to use with an NTSC TV (I'm guessing most NTSC only TVs don't support 576P inputs).

Incidentally, both these players are available from Techtronics (www dot techtronics dot com) at a pretty good price (I mention this as the previously discussed www dot avland dot co dot uk do not ship outside the UK).

Paul

RobD

Second Unit
Paul and others,

I hopefully will recieve my 868AVI at the end of the week (Dealer allocation pending) and will be happy to answer any questions about it then. The upconversion is a big plus for you guys since the 868AVI upscales PAL and NTSC to 720P and hence helps alleviate some potential Pal problems. Out of interest would 720P upscaled PAL still be 50Hz? (Edit: Actually does this even apply to DVI/HDMI??)

Techtronics are a pretty good comapany, I have bought DVD players off them in the past. My old Techtronics modded DV-717 handled RCE no problem, even though I bought it a while before RCE was conceived (Many other early Pioneer modded players had trouble with RCE).

Paul Harrison

Auditioning
I'd certainly be interested to hear how you get on with the DV-868AV. I hadn't thought about the 50Hz / 60Hz issue, you raise a very good question to which I'd very much like the answer!

I too have a trusty old DV-717, and what a great player it was in its day. It has a Paragon mod (can't remember who from now) and I've never come across a single DVD it doesn't like. Trouble is, converting the analog PAL output to NTSC looks terrible on a 56" screen, hence my need to upgrade.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks