Implications of 100 Hz Crossover on Pioneer VSX-D811S?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark.Louis, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Mark.Louis

Mark.Louis Stunt Coordinator

Hi to all:

Am thinking about purchasing this low-end AV receiver (don't have much money), but recently learned that the crossover setting options for this receiver are 100, 150, or 200 HZ. Based on what I have read on most boards, most people set their crossover at 80 Hz or lower to get best sound. Hence, I am now a bit concerned.

Can anyone instruct this audio-newbie as the to implications of only being able to lower crossover to 100 Hz? Will this result in less-quality sound? Does it mean I'll have to look for certain types of speakers?

Thanks as always.

Mark

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    This one depends somewhat on your speakers and the slope of the x-over, but I have not found it to be a problem on my Marantz. 100Hz IS a little high, but with a properly setup system, it should not be a significant issue. The issue comes into play if you have main/surround speakers that cannot effectively cover to 50Hz, in which case you might end up with a gap/dip in frequencies with a 100Hz 6dB/octave x-over.

Having said that, I would not mind having it lower or even adjustable. I am going to upgrade to a newer model to get the lower/adjustable x-over.

3. GregLee

GregLee Stunt Coordinator

100Hz is the lowest I can set my receiver crossover to, also. I think 100Hz compromises bass "envelopment", so I use the crossover on my sub, which goes down to 50Hz.

4. DanielN

DanielN Stunt Coordinator

So if the receiver is set to 100hz and the Sub 50hz arent you losing the sound from 100 to 50 hz? Can the crossover usually be turned off on the receiver?

5. John Garcia

John
    You turn the receiver's x-over off by setting your speakers to large. Then the sub should only function with LFE on DD/DTS tracks. Many receivers have settings which allow the sub to still be used with the mains set to large.

6. Jaimin

Jaimin Stunt Coordinator

So wait, on my 811 if I set the speakers to large, will this disable the crossover on the receiver? I only have a stereo setup and for some reason the pioneer won't let me choose to just have a 2.1 setup. My bookshelves go down to about 60hz, so I don't want to be missing that.

7. John Garcia

John
    If your mains are only good to 60Hz, then you want to set them small, with the 100Hz x-over. This IS a 2.1 setup.

I am not familiar enough with the 811's config to tell you if this is the case or not. On my Marantz SR6200 I can have sub=yes, mains=large. The 811 is a recent model, so I'd expect it can do the same. Read your manual.

8. John_Drake

John_Drake Extra

Jaimin,
    You should be able to set the 811 for 2 speakers, subwoofer on, and no crossover. See pages 38-41 of your manual.
    Following Pioneer's (mirky) directions you should be able to choose 2 speakers (Front Left and Right). Set them both to Large. Then choose the PLS setting for the subwoofer. If the manual is correct, this will send bass sounds to the Subwoofer but will turnoff the Crossover setting. Let us know if this works. I haven't tried it on my 811 yet.
    Is it just me or is Pioneer's user manual on crack?
    It's terrible trying to figure anything out with it.
    Hope this helps...
    - John