"Imperial" or "English" measuring devices illegal in Australia?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by JamesCB, Mar 15, 2004.

1. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

I was browsing one of those "movie mistake" sites and came across this in a Finding Nemo thread:

"Factual error: In the scene where the fish tank has been cleaned by the newly installed laser fish cleaner, the machine states that the water temperature is '82 degrees.' In Australia the celsius scale is used; therefore, it should be about '28 degrees.' It is actually illegal to import or sell any instrument using 'Imperial' scales. You couldn't buy a Fahrenheit thermometer if you tried."

Is this true? Is it illegal to own Imperial measuring devices in Australia? I find this very hard to beleive.

2. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Sounds crazy to me. I know that English-measurement "headspace gauges" for those working on Lee-Enfield rifles are made and sold by an Australian firm. The .308 British cartridge is still made in Australia. Cars made in Australia (e.g. the early 1990's Ford Capri) are sold with many English-measurement parts (e.g. tire diameter - make that tyre dyameter). I'm sure some guys from OZ will check in here soon.....

3. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

It could be granfathered. Here in Canada we have metric weights and measures, but you can't, for the life of you buy screws, nails, etc. in metric units.

I went looking for an 11mm screw the other day, and could not find any. Had to resort to a 9/32.

Most thermometers are have c and f scales, although if anyone tells me what the temp in in F, I have to google to get the "real" temp.

Weights are similar. I know what I weigh in lbs, but not in kilos, even though my medical records have my weight in kilos. Same with height.

Firearms are still sold in caliper, with the exception of modern cartridges, such as a 9mm, or 10mm. You can buy .223 rounds either as .223, or 7.89MM, IIRC. Tires are sold using a combination of imperial and metric. Tread width is in mm, rim diameter is in inches...

4. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

It can’t be illegal, our company uses Imperial measuring devices everyday. All measuring tapes have both scales on them and you go onto any building site or into any machine shop and no doubt they use both. Imperial is not taught in our schools so when I left it made it a bit hard to adapt, but it certainly isn’t illegal. However it would be hard to find a thermometer that reads Fahrenheit.

5. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Lance,
    The .223 and 5.56mm are roughly the same cartridge. See www.fulton-armory.com/556-vs-223-Chambers.htm for a safety caveat.

7.89mm is bigger than a .30 cal (7.62mm)! [​IMG] Remind me to check all ammo you try to load into one of my rifles....

During WWII so many American SAE bolts and nuts were imported into the UK that they generally superceded the British-standard thread pitch. So nowadays the inch-pound system is called "American standard" in the UK whereas we in the US call it "English". I guess nobody wants to take the blame for it anymore.

6. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    your height is in kilos too? better switch to a more qualified doctor! [​IMG]

CJ

7. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Imperial measurements???

illegal: no
    stupid: yes

8. Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston Supporting Actor

Brian W. Ralston
    Lance said...

So....you are saying Canada is the "Jan Brady" of the measurement system? Always stuck in the middle?

......"All I ever hear is metric, Metric, METRIC! " [​IMG]

9. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

That's strange. Your thermometers do not have both °F and °C? I think just about every thermometer I have ever seen has both. The only I've seen with one scale is in °F.

10. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Though I would argue that for non-scientific purposes, Fahrenheit is superior to Celcius.

11. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

It is not uncommon in Australia to ask for a two by four, a meter long. [​IMG]

12. andrew markworthy

FWIW, Imperial measures are no longer legal in the UK (perverse, because that's the home of Imperial measures, of course). Although stores can still have signs saying how much something is per pound, per yard, or whatever, these are optional. However, signs in metric are mandatory.

It's not the measures that are stupid, but the subdivisions. Most Imperial measures are based on recognisable human-based units (the yard is roughly an arm span, etc), whereas the metric measures are based on an entirely arbitrary fraction of the Earth's circumferance (and the French 'scientists' doing that measurement got it hopelessly wrong). Where the Imperial measures are dire is in the subdivisions - 12 inches to the foot, etc. In fairness to us Brits, we did think about changing this system some time ago (around 1800, I believe) making the subdivision metric (10 inches to the foot, that sort of thing). However, the scheme was felt to be too confusing and was abandoned.

13. Grant B

Grant B Producer

So how many Stone do you weigh?
    Get back to you in a fortnight[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Grant B

Grant B Producer

That is a real short 2 x 4!

15. PhillJones

PhillJones Second Unit

I remeber is a maths class at school being asked to work out the speed of light in furlongs per fortnight.

In our defense, Stones are from the same measurement system that punds are from. It's you guys that make no sence by ignoring the larger units.

The Metric Martyrs were the market traders who tested the law about metric measurements

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/3518289.stm

Bunch of idiots. It's not like they were being forced not to use Imperial, they just wanted to refuse to use metric.

Phill