What's new

impedence (1 Viewer)

Dave Clem

Auditioning
Can I use 4ohm speakers as mains on an onkyo tx-sr601? My surrounds are 8 ohms. Center is also 8ohms. All the speakers will be the Audio Pro Image series. I want to use the bookshelf Image 11 series for my mains. They are 4 ohms. Will I be ok??:)

Dave Clem

Auditioning
I downloaded the manual and it said do not use 4 ohm speakers. Now, new question. Since the center is 8 ohms like the surrounds, would it be ok to buy the 2 more of the same center speaker and use them as mains?? Please help!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Dave.

First, having all your speakers be identical make and model is the ideal system. This way the sounds wont change as they swirl around. So if you can afford to do this, go for it.

Second - you CAN mix 4 ohm speakers with 8 ohm speakers. My advice would be to define the 4 ohm speakers as SMALL (read your manual on how to find this) and you should be fine.

In truth: your 8 ohm speakers change their impedence from about 2 ohms to about 30 ohms. They change based on the frequency of sound they are producing. (about 2 ohms at low frequency, 30 ohms at 15,000 or higher frequency)

A lower impedence speaker WILL draw more current & generate more heat (which is why some Mfg's say to not use them). But if you follow my advice you will:

- Still have the 8 ohm center which is where most of the sound comes from

- The 4 ohm L/R will be defined as SMALL so your reciever wont try to send the really low frequency sounds to them

Just check on the temperature of your reciever after 30 minutes of use to make sure the 4 ohm speakers are not causing problems. Also, make sure you have good ventilation around the reciever and you should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks