Impedence of Shiva in parallel(4ohms - Help)?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott M, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Scott M

Scott M Agent

I am currently running my new sonosub(shiva)with 2 monoblocks. Each VC is getting 125W each from 2 Soundstream THX cert monoblocks.
    When I try to run in parallel with just 1 block the first one seems to run fine but the other is going into standby. I'm assuming some type of short protection from low impedence because it jumps into standby in just a few seconds and isn't that hot. This thing is rated to run 4ohms so I'm confused.
    Does the Shiva drop well below 4ohms in parallel? Or is there something wrong with the amp? My LSPCAD model for the sub doesn't show anything below 4.4ohms in parallel until you get below 12hz or so but I'm not sure if this is reliable.
    As an after thought I'm probably going to look into a AVA250 but I'm wondering if I should get the blocks looked at because they are slated to run my new Studio 60s when I get them.

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

According to the Shiva white paper, the Re with parallel VC's is 2.82 ohms. Might be a little low for the amp, though I can't say why only one of them would have a problem.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

4. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

I concur with Pat, something is amiss with that amp.
    ------------------

5. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

Scott,
    The LspCAD impedance curve is correct (provided you've entered the design correct, but from the 4.4 ohm minimum you state it sounds right). A typical "4 ohm" driver will dip down to between 3.5 and 4.5 ohms at minimum, depending upon the box/tuning used.
    So I'd go along with the others here and say you need to have that amp checked out. There may be a problem with it.
    Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio
    ------------------