Impedence differences?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jaydee, Nov 7, 2002.

1. jaydee

jaydee Stunt Coordinator

What is the difference between 4,6 and 8 ohms nominal impedence?

2. Matt Odegard

Matt Odegard Stunt Coordinator

I'm no professor here but impedance is the ratio of pressure to flow. 8ohm impedance has high pressure therefor has less flow than 6ohm and less power. That is why many amps wattages levels go up as there impedance levels go down.

Example; a amp may be rated at 200wpc(watt per channel) at 8ohms but, 350wpc at 4ohm.

Basicly the lower the impedence the more flow for current there is, whether music or electrical. Hope that helps and is simple enough to understand.

3. jaydee

jaydee Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Matt!

I bought an Elite 45TX which recomends 8ohm speakers. However, I'm matching them with PSB Image 6T, 9C and 10S's which nominal impedance is 6 ohms. I've already reset the receiver for this, I was just wondering if I was losing anything by not going with the recomended 8ohm setup.

4. Matt Odegard

Yeah I'm asking the same question about that same reciever! Well not the same question but a similar one, like if the 45tx can handle 4ohm speakers since it is recommended that you use 8ohm. How do you like it? The 45tx that is.

5. jaydee

jaydee Stunt Coordinator

SVS sub arrives tomorrow and PSB's arrive early next week.

So far, I've determined I'll be reading the manual for a while getting it "dialed in". So, when my speakers arrive, I can plug and play. For the most part the system seems to be simple with the auto setup procedure....I'll let you know next week.

6. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Do some searching on this and other forums and you'll find that some Pioneer Elite 45/47tx owners are having shutdown problems due to low impedance (4ohm nominal) speakers.

Basic electronics guys! An ohm is a unit of measure, it relates to the resistance to electron flow. The greater the ohm value the greater the resistance, so the inverse is also true, the lower the number the lower the resistance to electron flow. This is why a low impedance speaker can pull a greater amount of power from an amp than a higher rated speaker. Take a look at any receiver or amp that is rated for 4, 6 or 8 ohm speakers and you'll see that as the ohm value increases, the output decreases. That in a nutshell is why you will do more damage underpowering your speakers than you will over powering them. Simply stated an amp that has a rating of 50 watts into 8 ohms is going to live a short life connected to a speaker that is rated at 4 ohms, and played at anything approaching reference levels. The amp simply cannot keep up with the demands being placed upon it. Pretty soon you "let all the smoke out!"

We all know that some, if not all manufacturers are very conservetive with their power ratings, but then again why take the chance and guess at what the amp/receiver will handle, to me it makes more sense to use a properly sized amp, or at the very least one that is rated to handle the impedance value of your speakers. Although my site doesn't show it yet, I have added an Anthem amp (PVA-7) to my system to handle the power needs of my Lsi's. My VSX-37tx was running way to warm, so I made the jump to a seperate amp.

7. jaydee

jaydee Stunt Coordinator

So is it OK if I change the setting on the VSX 45 to 6ohms. Will this prevent any problems? Or should I decline the PSM 6 ohms upon arrival and get some 8ohm speakers?

8. Matt Odegard

Frank, I know what impedance means, I stated it in the first reply. Thanks though, my question in the Recievers/amps forum was if all the cutting out on the 45tx is due to them being hooked up to 4ohm speakers. I know not all amps can handle low impedance but wasn't sure if the impedance was the problem with the 45tx or something else.

9. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Matt,
    Just elaborating a little on what you had posted, thats all.

Jaydee,
    As long as you stay within the manufacturers stated spec.'s you should be okay.

10. jaydee

jaydee Stunt Coordinator

The 45 allows an adjustment to the system to set for 6ohms. I just want to know if I'm loosing anything by matching all 6 ohm speakers to a system that recomends 8ohms.

Glad I didn't buy the Rockets, their center channel is 4 ohms.

11. Matt Odegard

I doubt it would be bad if the reciever has a switch to go that low of impedance, then obviously Pioneer was expecting this impedance for their reciever. It's if they didn't have it that you should be worried about. Although with a 6ohm impedance it may cause the reciever to get hotter than it would with a 8ohm impedance. But I guess that should be it, Frank might know more as he has the 47tx. I'm just looking know but I'm pretty sure the 45tx will be my end choice as long as the speakers I choose fit it.

12. jaydee

jaydee Stunt Coordinator

I'll let you know what I think when I get it set up.

13. jaydee

jaydee Stunt Coordinator