Impedance

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kai L, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Kai L

Kai L Auditioning

I'm currently saving for a nice set of surround speakers to go with my fronts (Energy Audissey A3+2) but in the mean time, thought about using a set of older Bose speakers until then.

The question that I hope someone could assist with is the issue of speaker impedance. The fronts are rated at 6 ohms but the bose are 4 ohms. I'm not sure how safe it is to mix the two sets?

Any thoughts on if it's safe and if it isn't suggested, is there an effective way to raise the impedence on the bose?

Thanks.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

If you have a quality front end setup, you will certainly be ok at low to moderate volumes, since the surrounds see little action compared to the fronts.

Things to look for are higher heat build-up or auto shutdown after loud usage or extended listening.

In most cases you will be ok, but start slow and low and pay attention to what your electronics are telling you.

Good Luck -

- CM

3. Kai L

Kai L Auditioning

Thanks for your suggestion.

By the way, when I get there, any thoughts on what I should pick up for surrounds? Should I stick with energy's or other. Also, what size would be appropriate. Also, any thoughts on a sub? I've been eyeing Monitor Audio and M&K

Thanks.

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Ideally, the exact same speakers that you run for fronts should be in every position, including center. Most times that's not practical.

The RVSS is the only Dipole/Bipole I could find on Energy's site. I don't know if you prefer direct over diffuse, but that's one option. It seems you do prefer diffuse, since you have the A3+2's.

Otherwise my advice is to stick with the same type of tweeter, in your case aluminum. Find the bookshelf style that has a similar tweet.

I have an SV sub, and I haven't heard many others. I don't want to give advice on either of the ones you mentioned, but SV's are hard to beat, as far as I know.

Good Luck!

- CM