What's new

Impedance question... (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Okay... I thought I'd slap together some cheap mini bookshelf speakers to put in our kitchen and run them off the "B" output on my livingroom receiver. I've found the parts I want. However, the 4" vifa woofer (299-495) I'm looking at is 4 Ohms. Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal, but, my livingroom speaks are 8 Ohm.

Is that going to be a problem having 4 Ohms and 8 Ohms hanging off of the same receiver?

The kitchen speakers are going to play louder since they are drawing more power than the livingroom speakers, aren't they?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
It's completely dependent on the receiver. Some wouldn't like that load, others won't care.

What does the manual say?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Well, the manual is at home... and I'm at work with my finger on the "ship-it!" button. :)

The receiver is just a basic, bottom-line, 2 channel Pioneer... I believe it's the SX-205. I don't even see an online manual for it.

Hmm... perhaps I need to rethink this project. I could solve this problem by doing an MTM and wiring the woofers in series. But, MTM's in the kitchen? I mean, really?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks