Impedance problem with Center Speaker

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck_C, Nov 2, 2001.

1. Chuck_C

Chuck_C Stunt Coordinator

I have Sony SS-MICN Center channel speaker (150 W) that I would like to use with my Sony STR-DE945 Receiver (110 W for center channel). The receiver documentation states that the rear and center speakers have to be 8 ohms or more. The SS-MICN (an ES model) turns out to be 6 ohms.
    Is there any way I can use this speaker in my system or did I make a big mistake obtaining it? The receiver documentation say that it has a protection system that may shut the system down. Is there any way to increase the impedance of the speaker? I understand that adding resistors will not work.
    Should I worry about it at all? Is there a danger to harming the system?
    One idea I had would be to put another speaker in series with this one to increase the impedance. The receiver is against a wall that has a garage on the other side. I could mount a raw speaker in the garage so it wouldn’t interfere with the sound in the home theater room. Would adding a 4-ohm speaker increase the impedance to an acceptable level? What wattage speaker should I get? I would really like to use this speaker and am trying to find a way.
    If anyone can come up with an answer, it will be in this foum.

2. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Bah. Don't worry about it. Nothing bad's going to happen if you use it.
    Speakers actually have a large range of impedance depending on the frequency they are reproducing. Most speakers actually go as low as 2 ohms during regular usage.

3. Chuck_C

Kwang- Thanks for the reply. I feel better now. Just didn't want to screw anything up.
    Chuck

4. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

5. Chuck_C

:)

6. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Chuck underscore C [​IMG]
    Don't worry about it, but if I were you, I would probably play a movie at high volume levels and check to see if the receiver was getting warmer than usual. This can theoretically become an issue when you're pushing your receiver completely to its limits, and unless you regularly watch movies at reference or near-reference levels, I doubt your receiver will even break a sweat.