What's new

Impedance problem or bad speakers??? (1 Viewer)

Saul Schwartz

Auditioning
I bought the Yamaha YHT-300 Home theater system, and along with that I bought a pair of Yamaha NS-A100XT floorstanding speakers. I noticed the speakers were 6 ohms..is this a problem? What happens is when I turn the volume up more than halfway the system shuts itself down. I disconnected all the speakers, and left just the NS-A100XT's connected and it did the same thing..so then I disconnected those and connected the small speakers that came with the package, and I could turn those up all the way without the receiver shutting off. Do I have defective speakers or is the receiver just not meant to run those speakers?? Please help!!

Dimitri H

Auditioning
Saul,

I was just reading through my Denon 3208 manual and saw a note on a protector circuit which activates if the set is played at high volumes for long periods with an impedance lower than the specified impedance. See if you can find something similar in your owners manual. Also, do you have plenty of circulation around your receiver? It may be getting too hot. Good luck.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You might try returning the towers for another pair and/or have the store test them. One or both may be bad. Unfortunately, this may be due to you driving them to distortion with this amplifier and frying something on a crossover or even a tweeter itself. You could hook just one tower up at a time to find out if it is only one or the other of them.

It could be impedence, but I doubt it because based on those specs, that receiver should have no issue with driving those speakers.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Well, they're 6-ohms. It says it can run 4-ohms... but I bet it can't run it well. It's rated at 80w/channel @ 1khz, so figure that's more like 50w/channel or so. I'd be curious how big the power supply is.
My parents have a Yamaha 995 which is a more powerful receiver driving BA VR950's which are 8-ohm and 90db sensitivity. It can't handle turning too much past 1/2 way in surround mode.
The Yamaha speakers are 89db and 6-ohm. At anything above 1/2 way, it sounds like the receiver is just running out of juice to me and is going into protection mode (shutting off.)
You would likely be better served by speakers such as: http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m=...=17&e=11100481 which have a higher sensitivity. I believe they're 8-ohms too (though not listed) which puts less stress on the power supply of the receiver. IMO, they're much better speakers too.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Make sure you've selected the 4 ohm position on the impedence switch for 6 ohm speakers. (usually next to the speaker terminals)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks