Impedance or Speaker problem??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Saul Schwartz, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Saul Schwartz

Saul Schwartz Auditioning

I bought the Yamaha YHT-300 Home theater system, and along with that I bought a pair of Yamaha NS-A100XT floorstanding speakers. I noticed the speakers were 6 ohms..is this a problem? What happens is when I turn the volume up more than halfway the system shuts itself down. I disconnected all the speakers, and left just the NS-A100XT's connected and it did the same thing..so then I disconnected those and connected the small speakers that came with the package, and I could turn those up all the way without the receiver shutting off. Do I have defective speakers or is the receiver just not meant to run those speakers?? Please help!!

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

is there an impedence switch on the back of the receiver? if so...fiddle with it

3. Saul Schwartz

Saul Schwartz Auditioning

yes, it has 4 ohm or 8 ohm operation...ive tried both, same results.

4. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

That particular receiver should have more than enough power to run those speakers. You may have a defective receiver.

5. Dimitri H

Dimitri H Auditioning

Saul,

I was just reading through my Denon 3208 manual and saw a note on a protector circuit which activates if the set is played at high volumes for long periods with an impedance lower than the specified impedance. See if you can find something similar in your owners manual. Also, do you have plenty of circulation around your receiver? It may be getting too hot. Good luck.