Impedance of Energy Speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulDF, Feb 24, 2003.

1. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

I was just looking at the Energy C-7 floorstanders, and it says impedance 4 to 8 ohms... What is the real impedance?

Thanks

2. Rob Formica

Rob Formica Stunt Coordinator

The Nominal (average?) Impedance is 8 ohms if you want to compare them to other speaker specs... but in reality the impedance will vary according to frequency and is the reason for the range stated.

Most amplifier specs also take this into account when stating speaker minimum impedance (I believe it's usually stated as nominal as well...)

Feel free to correct me though... [​IMG]

Rob

3. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

impedance will vary on any given speaker depending on what frequencys are being pushed to it etc, so a nominal impedance rating of 4-8 ohms means that the impedance will never dip lower than 4ohms and will typically reside between 4-8 ohms. This is alot more accurate than just giving a fixed impedance for a speaker.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

The impedance swings can actually be quite large indeed, even if listed as 8, 6, 4 ohms or as a small range in there somewhere. It probably will dip well above and well below that number. This is part of the reason some speakers, while having overall relatively average nominal ohm ratings, may be much more demanding, because of wild swings in the impedance curves.