Impedance Mismatch

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SeanA, Mar 24, 2003.

1. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Is there any drawback with running 6 ohm speakers mated to an 8 ohm A/V Receiver ??? My main front speakers are Wharfedale Emerald 97's, and they were advertised as 8 ohm speakers. The US distributor for Wharfedale said there would be no negative effects with this combination.

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

I think you will be alright. The lower the impedance the tougher the speaker will be to drive. However, resistance is always variable. A speaker rated at 8ohms could easily drop below 5 at times, manufacturers recognize this, so even though the output indicates 8ohms, they know that it could be +/-. A 4ohm drop is enough of a differnce to start to worry. But, all the 6ohm rating indicates is that your amplifier might sweat a little more.

As long as you have a competant receiver I would not give it a second thought.

-rob

3. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Thanks Rob,

I thought this might be the case. When I am playing a DVD and driving 5 speakers, I have noticed that my front speakers seem to fall off some as I crank up the volume. My other speakers (center and rears) are Wharfedale also, but are rated at 8 ohms. I know I can adjust the bias individually to each speaker through the receiver, but the inadequate output from the front speakers is only apparent when I really turn up the volume. At my normal listening volume for movies, I think I have the bias just right. And when I play CD's just through the front speakers, I don't notice any lack of drive in the speakers when I crank up the volume.

I really like the sound quality of the Wharfedales... they are strong in the midrange and never seem to get too bassy. Maybe I do need to look next at upgrading my A/V Receiver. It is an Aiwa AV-D98 (no jokes please :b ) that I purchased two years ago before I knew better. Wattage-wise it should be a good match. I think my receiver is suppose to output 120W per channel and my speakers are good to 150W. What do you think... time for a new receiver ??? Any recommendations ???

4. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Sean,

Generally if you notice a lack of dynamics or any distortion then you need a bigger amplifier.

As for recommendations you can find adcom amps for cheap used.