Impedance matching volume control has a problem

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Todd_Glassman, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Todd_Glassman

Todd_Glassman Auditioning

When I fed my impedance matching volume control a signal from my Audiosource amp, I noticed a "thumping/clicking" sound coming from the volume control, even when volume was turned down to "off" position. This occurs with the gain on the amp turned way up, but the pre-amp (Denon 1803)at very low volume levels. Moving amplifier gain to mid-position stops this strange noise. What is going on???

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    What’s an impedance-matching volume control?

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

4. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Todd, I'm not sure what is causing the thump, but I think you should always try to have your volume control set at full, or as close to full as you can whenever listening to the speakers. You should reduce the preamp volume to manage your overall max level, not the volume control.

Think of the volume control as a "minus-volume control". All the volume control can do is reduce volume - it can't increase volume beyond that which has alrady been provided by the preamp and amp.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Yes, but that's not the point of these controls. It's so that you can have your main system somewhere else and also have music going to say the bedroom at lesser volumes from what it's playing elsewhere.

6. Todd_Glassman

Todd_Glassman Auditioning

A follow-up: Regarding use of volume control, I just found that the volume level on my receiver makes no difference in the zone2 line level output that is going to the amp. So it seems that the volume controls on my amp become my main volume controls. Is this how I should be using the amp?

Regarding the thumping volume control, I contacted the distributor, and apparently, the thumping is likely due to low frequency bass tones and the high amplification. If I run another pair of speakers, connected in parallel to the first set, the amplification going to each speaker pair will decrease and probably eliminate the problem. At least that is what they said.

7. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

8. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit