What's new

IMO, the worst looking DVD I own is Star Wars Episode II (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I have already stated im MY opinion watching with MY eyes it is the worst DVD move "I" own. This is just my personal opinion, nothing more.
I'll edit your thread title to more accurately reflect your opinion. (For those joining late, the original title was "Worst looking DVD has to be Star Wars Episode II".)

M.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Alma: Sorry my post seem so pointed. It was addressing the general tendency among people to call something or other "worst ever." Again, didn't mean to appear to put you on a hot plate, and I apologize for seeming to do so.

Jeff: Can you believe it, but I still haven't subjected myself to Battlefield Earth. It's weirdly reassuring that they can make 'em as bad as they used to!

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Well AOTC looks fantastic on my PS2 in almost every scene, including the dark scenes of Anakin's walk through the Tusken park, except the fireplace scene. I understand that perhaps the PS2 isn't a good DVD player, but I only experience excessive artifacting in that scene alone. Otherwise the movie looks fantastic, especially considering that there are so many darkly lit scenes. Is it the combination of my PS2 and component cable hook-up, the transfer or the digital cameras? Personally I think it's a combination of all of the above. I don't experience that much digital sludge on practically any other movie I own and AOTC is the only movie I have that was shot with digital cameras. I caught 2 digital showings of AOTC at the Chinese and never noticed anything wrong.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Yes the fireplace scene does look a little noisy on my set (just not as clean as other scenes)....but God Almighty this disc looks gorgeous!

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
Well on my Hitachi 65 AOTC looks Fantastic. Sure in some scenes peoples faces are a bit on the soft side but again thats how it was in the theater. Some people just prefer the "sharper" picture that EE or turning up sharpness or enabling VSM produce even though it is artificial. AOTC is pretty much the best transfer pq-wise out there....and yes its better than LOTR:ED. Some parts in LOTR get grainy and tend to pixalize. Still its overall one of the best also.

Dennis

Second Unit
You can't judge a DVD by a store demo. It is very, very rare to find a display unit that isn't displaying a grossly inaccurate picture. Store demo units are almost never calibrated at all, let alone calibrated correctly.
I don't judge the quality of transfers from these sort of places, I was using it as an example as to the possible softness of the transfer. In my experience though, I've usually seen pretty decent demos in stores.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I don't judge the quality of transfers from these sort of places
No one said you were. However, you noted a specific difference between the store demo and the film in theaters ("I saw the light saber battle on a widescreen TV (50" or more) at a BM and it looked like a video game. I don't remember the film looking this bad in the theater"). On a properly calibrated set, that difference shouldn't be there.

M.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
I just got finished watching AOTC, and strangely enough, I noticed something that I had never noticed before. I still think that this movie looks absolutely spectacular, but there are a couple of scenes that trouble me now.

In a few scenes in Palpatine's office, the red walls exhibit some noise... it looks like MPEG artifacting, but I'm not sure that's what it is. Specifically, in the scene when Jar-Jar is thoughtful while he's being manipulated, to both sides of him are the VERY red walls, and they looked very noisy.

I'm not sure why I haven't noticed this before, perhaps my TV settings are different from the last time I watched it.

Strangely enough, I DID notice a very similar effect on the theatrical film version, but it was in the very BLUE scenes; i.e. Padme's at night. I don't notice it in the same scenes on DVD. I'm not sure what to make of it. *shrug*

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Strange. Contrary to what others have experienced, the fireplace scene is perfect on my set-up, with no smearing or noise or any other artifacts. BUT the red walls in the various 'Palpatine's chamber' scenes almost always exhibit a distracting amount of artifacting, in line with John's comments above. And I noticed this on my first home viewing of the R1 disc, so it bugs me very time I watch it. BTW, I agree 100% with the comment about the image being very 'sterile'. Sure it's clean, bright and colourful, but for whatever reasons it lacks the crisp detail of a conventional film image (which is what I'm used to seeing, natch.) Hopefully the new cameras will enable Lucas to capture a sharp image with less noise for Episode 3, which should have a positive effect on Episode 3's eventual dvd transfer.

Eric F

Screenwriter
If anyone cares, AOTC is on HBO-HD towards the end of June.

One would hope it's not cropped, but I'm not counting on it.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
In a few scenes in Palpatine's office, the red walls exhibit some noise
Oh yeah I totally forgot, that's another area of the movie that has a lot of artifacting for me. It sucks that in the first 5 minutes of the movie the quality is poor in respect to Palpatine's office and those beautiful dark red walls look crappy.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Randy makes a good point. We had argued about this very subject. I said it looked fantastic on my 32 Flat, he thought it was just okay on his Toshi RP. Is this RP just showing imperfections my CRT is not? It looks delicious on my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks