Immortal Beloved...any Chance for Super Bit???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaViD Boulet, Oct 4, 2002.

1. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Just saw this film from the existing DVD last night on my buddy's Sony 10HT projector and super-duper audio system.

The picture and sound were absolutely reference. No one can do a transfer like Columbia tristar. Their images are so completely free from from the flatness that plagues even the best transfers from many other studios. And not a drop of EE!!!

But just like with the original Fifth Element...it has me wondering just how much better it would be with a super-bit transfer (perhaps this already is...dual layer and only one film to encode) with DTS sound!

It's really the DTS sound that has me longing for a Super Bit version of this.

Anyone know if Sony has made any mention of the possibility?

-dave

2. Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman Second Unit

Brent Bridgeman
    I would buy that for the "Ode to Joy" scene alone. That transcendent music playing while he is running through the woods and then when he is floating in the "pool of stars" never fails to move me.

3. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Since the movie was a commercial and critical flop when released, it's extremely unlikely that Columbia would make it part of their Superbit series anytime in the near future.

4. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

[​IMG]

5. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

6. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

don't you mean that since it was a critical flop that it is VERY likely it will be a Superbit? [​IMG]

7. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

Ah, but you forget that a STEEL MAGNOLIAS Superbit has to come out first...

IMMORTAL BELOVED was a "critical flop"? Just goes to show you that critics don't know squat. This was one fine piece of filmmaking.

8. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Yes, the fact that this movie was a flop and has a very good transfer means that it will likely become a Superbit one day.

9. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

I wouldn't mind getting a Superbit release of this movie, primarily for the DTS audio. I like this movie a lot, even if the conclusion it comes to about the identity of the "Immortal Beloved" is almost definitely wrong. To me that doesn't detract from Oldman's performance or the great music (I agree with the above comment about the Ode to Joy scene). Personally, I'll take Immortal Beloved over Amadeus any day.

And FYI it got a 62% on the TomatoMeter, so I wouldn't say it was a flop critically.