What's new

Immediate help please: Need a $30-$60 subwoofer cable in 12 hours (1 Viewer)

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for reading. I'm new to all this stuff and I need to buy a medium-quality subwoofer cable by NOON ON SATURDAY. The deadline is because we're wiring in-wall prior to drywalling. It needs to go in the wall and I need it to be around 20 feet. Is this realistic for $50 bucks? My system is an Onkyo 595 and Energy Encore speakers (8 in. 150 watt front firing sub).
I have a Radio Shack, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. close by.
Any thoughts????
Thanks,
Rob
------------------
Onkyo 595
Energy Encores
TV: TBA
DVD: TBA

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Go to Best Buy and get a 20' Acoustic Research cable. It's good quality stuff and pretty inexpensive (about $20).

StephenL

Second Unit
If the cable is going in the wall it should be rated for use in the wall. You can find inexpensive RG-6 coax at stores like Home Depot. There is no reason to spend more.

Curt Jett

Agent
Do yourself a big favor and run some plastic conduit through the walls. Then later it you ever want/need new wires you can just use the old wires to pull new ones. While the walls are open this one and only time, it sure makes it nice to have the option.
------------------

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help so far.
Can I get the in-wall RG-6 cable at Radio Shack at a fair price? It's a little closer. How do I get the RCA plugs on the cable later on? Do you just use a pair of pliers or what? (In case you haven't figured it out yet, I'm pretty clueless).
Thanks again
------------------
Onkyo 595
Energy Encores
TV: TBA
DVD: TBA

Can I get the in-wall RG-6 cable at Radio Shack at a fair price? It's a little closer. How do I get the RCA plugs on the cable later on? Do you just use a pair of pliers or what? (In case you haven't figured it out yet, I'm pretty clueless).
Below is basically what you need. You also need 2 standard single-outlet electrical wall boxes. I dont know if Radio Shack sells these. Mount the electrical boxes. Run the coax through the wall and into the electrical wall boxes. Connect the ends to the plates w/ rca jacks. After the drywall is installed(make sure they cut out the area to the box) put on the cover plate. Then you need 2 short rca cables to attach to your sub and reciever and your ready to go. While your at it you may want to do the same thing for your surrounds.
(2) Decorator Plate with One RCA Jack
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F001%5F025%5F000&product%5Fid=930%2D0464
"If I was not Jamaican, why would i be wearing this hat?"

If I run 12 gauge wire from DH through the walls to connect my speakers, will they be effected by the electic wire in the walls?
Can I run this 12 gauge along the same path as the electrical wire?

Doug Lachman

Auditioning
You should be able to get the 20' of RG-6 from the Shack for a very cheap price - under $10 - and then buy (2) F to RCA male adapters - $2.99 or less. This will take 5 minutes to assemble and the sound quality is great. I did this and am very satisfied with the results.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Steven: No you should not run in parallel with electrical
wires. You want to avoid them, or if you have to, cross
them at 90 degrees (leaving as much space as possible).
Rob: Here is some advice:
Calculate the length you need for a un-broken piece of
wire from your equipment to your sub position running
through the walls. Then multiply the number by 2.5 and
buy this much RG6 CATV coax at Radio Shack.
Cut the wire in half and run 2 runs of wire. Put
some different colored tape around each so you can tell
wire #1 from wire #2.
At each end (where it comes out the electrical box) when you run the wires between the studs, do it in a zig-zag pattern. Buy some large, insulated staples and nail them in half way to hold the wires. (Later, if you need more cable you tug on the exposed end to pop the first staple. This gives you 8-16 inches of slack. Tug again to pop the next staple).
Run the two wires through the electrical box's as Kartal indicated and leave the 8-10 feet of slack loose.
Your drywall installers will cut a hole for the box and thread the wire through it. (They are used to this).
HOOK UP TIME:
Go to Radio Shack and buy a hex-crimp tool for about $12 and some "F connectors". The package will show you how to trim, push and crimp the connectors. Also at Radio Shack, get some "F-to-RCA" adaptor plugs.
Buy some blank face-plates and drill holes for the coax to fit through. Install the plates BEFORE you crimp ends on the wires.
Now you have the best of both worlds: an un-broken subwoofer cable, and the ability to trim the end and install a face-plate with a connector later if you want a more "clean" look.
That spair cable can be cut with a foot or two of slack and pushed back into the hole for later use. Later you can use it for another sub, or to drive an amp connected to tactile-transducers, etc.
You will not regret the extra capacity.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I have the MIT subwoofer cable (yes, with the magic box) and I think the run is over 20 feet and I'm happy with it. Don't know what retail is, but from my dealer I got it for about $50, if I remember correctly.
------------------
My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
I appreciate the help that you each have given me in the last two days, but my original post was from May. I've already taken care of the cable. Thanks again and sorry that your recent help was in vain.
Rob
------------------
Receiver: Onkyo 595
Speakers: Energy Encores
TV: Sony 43T75 rptv
DVD/CD: Panasonic RV-31

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks