What's new

Imitation Anamorphic pretty neat (1 Viewer)

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Some of the newer DVD progressive scan players, JVC 723 and Panasonic PR91, have a very neat feature that enables the player to reformat a 4 x 3 letterbox to 16 x 9. The picture quality definitley improves somewhat better than letterbox but not as good as a true anamorphic transfer. Nevertheless this is a great feature whether or not your HD TV accepts progressive scan on all formats.
Unfortunatley the players can only reformt 4 x 3 to 16 x 9 when the DVD contains those particular instructions. I checked out all my letterbox DVD's and my JVC 723 could reformat approximatley 65%.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Panasonic RP-91 can be manually zoomed for non-anamorphic discs that are not flagged properly. I had to do this when watching High Plains Drifter on my new RP-91.
BTW, I do agree that this zoom/scaling is a great feature for folks with 16x9 HD-ready TV's. The picture quality of good non-anamorphic transfers now comes very close to anamorphic transfers. This player will add a whole new life to my collection (I still have approximately 85 non-anamorphic widescreen transfers).
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 7

james e m

Second Unit
That does sound like a pretty cool feature and I hope it catches on with other companies. I'd like to see that feature in the next Sony dvd player I buy.
james

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks