1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Imitation Anamorphic pretty neat

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ernest, Jul 19, 2001.

1. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

Some of the newer DVD progressive scan players, JVC 723 and Panasonic PR91, have a very neat feature that enables the player to reformat a 4 x 3 letterbox to 16 x 9. The picture quality definitley improves somewhat better than letterbox but not as good as a true anamorphic transfer. Nevertheless this is a great feature whether or not your HD TV accepts progressive scan on all formats.
    Unfortunatley the players can only reformt 4 x 3 to 16 x 9 when the DVD contains those particular instructions. I checked out all my letterbox DVD's and my JVC 723 could reformat approximatley 65%.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Is there anyway to manually force the player to do it? How about the panny 91?
    -Vince
    ------------------
    http://www.musicianassist.com
    AIM: VinceMaskeeper
    "If you want everything to be cheap then you're in the wrong hobby." -Rob Gillespie
    Got Remo?

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The Panasonic RP-91 can be manually zoomed for non-anamorphic discs that are not flagged properly. I had to do this when watching High Plains Drifter on my new RP-91.
    BTW, I do agree that this zoom/scaling is a great feature for folks with 16x9 HD-ready TV's. The picture quality of good non-anamorphic transfers now comes very close to anamorphic transfers. This player will add a whole new life to my collection (I still have approximately 85 non-anamorphic widescreen transfers).
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 7

4. james e m

james e m Second Unit

That does sound like a pretty cool feature and I hope it catches on with other companies. I'd like to see that feature in the next Sony dvd player I buy.
    james