IMDB's (and NetFlix's) source of film trailers drying up?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Apr 8, 2002.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I'm not certain if this is the right section for this post; mods feel free to move this if another section is more appropriate.
    Video Store Magazine posted this article about how a judge has ruled that Video Pipeline (supplier of film trailers to the IMDB/Amazon, NetFlix, Yahoo! Shopping, and others) is likely to NOT prevail at trial. This is in regard to a lawsuit brought by Buena Vista (Disney) against Video Pipeline supplying these trailers to their customers.
    For full details, read the article which I have linked to. Here are the basics (I snipped a lot, so if you want to read the whole thing, then go straight to the article and skip the quotes below):

2. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Ah, so that's why today, the first time I decide to actually go check out the trailers they have at IMDb, I get "Preview Temporarily Unavailable".
    What luck! [​IMG]

3. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

That really blows.

Maybe the studios could provide the trailers to IMDB if they feel that they are being mis-represented.

Of course, this could have nothing to do with being mis-represented and more with Di$ney not getting paid.

4. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Honestly, a lot of those trailers are/were in pretty bad shape in terms of quality and bandwidth, bit it was still a nice feature. Also, how ironic is it that it is Buena Vista suing them, considering it looks like even on more popular catalog titles (i.e. Dick Tracy) the trailer will not be included on the DVD release.