What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

IMDb Streaming Service (I mean, srsly?) (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
https://www.engadget.com/2020/02/05/imdb-tv-disney-shows-lost-malcolm-in-the-middle/
IMDb thinks it has a way to keep you coming back to its free streaming video service: offer a bunch of the TV shows from your younger days. IMDb TV has secured the rights to stream over 20 Disney-owned series, including Lost, Desperate Housewives, Malcolm in the Middle and My So-Called Life. Moreover, this will be the only place where you can watch Lost andMalcolm for free. You'll need a subscription or paid download anywhere else, to put it another way.

IMDb has its own free streaming service. This isn’t totally new. But it’s new to me.
But also, WTF? IMDb is owned by Amazon. IMDb is competing with Amazon Prime. Why is amazon competing against itself with a fractured brand presence? Why not just gave a free tier to Prime, that can be accessed also via the IMDb app?

what a mess this streaming landscape is.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I'm not seeing what the issue is here, either. YouTube, Vudu, and Roku all have ad-supported channels going back to 2016.

I've been using it to start watching 14 seasons of Dallas at no cost to me, whereas before my only option would be to buy them on iTunes for $25 each, which would total $350.

If that makes the streaming landscape a mess, then I hope things get messier.

Last edited:

John*Wells

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I saw Dallas and watching some. But is it the original versions of the episodes? Or are they syndication cuts like the the ones on the old Nashville Network?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I saw Dallas and watching some. But is it the original versions of the episodes? Or are they syndication cuts like the the ones on the old Nashville Network?

The runtimes are around 48mins so it feels like the original to me...

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
When I search Prime for “IMDb” I find content listed under that category. I don’t understand the marketing and coordination of it as an Amazon property, but’s all there for Prime members, AFAICT.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Why not just gave a free tier to Prime, that can be accessed also via the IMDb app?

Maybe it’s more a channel than a service. It’s available through Prime in some fashion

IMDB TV is available in its own section within the Prime Video app as well as through the IMDB app.

When I search Prime for “IMDb” I find content listed under that category. I don’t understand the marketing and coordination of it as an Amazon property, but’s all there for Prime members, AFAICT.

While Prime members are able to access the content through the Prime Video app, I think calling it IMDB TV is so Amazon can also offer it as a stand-alone service without customers thinking they need to be a Prime member to use it.

Last edited:

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Been watching Columbo and The Rockford Files on IMDB via Amazon Prime. I'm not a big fan of the ad breaks, especially because they can be extremely repetitive and a bit too frequent as the program goes on. But if there is no ad-free streaming option it's still nice to have an option other than purchasing.

John*Wells

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’m watching Dallas and I am curious as to whether the commercial breaks are in the original first run positions

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I’m watching Dallas and I am curious as to whether the commercial breaks are in the original first run positions

Doubtful. During Columbo there will be a fade-out (where the commercial break originally was) then the next scene will start. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCENE a commercial will pop up! Since it's free and there's no other way to watch all the original episodes I deal with it.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick

Only going by the episode I watched this afternoon, the commercials definitely played to match the original fade in/outs.

FWIW - I timed the episode to get an idea of how many commercials you get. The 48min episode played in 52mins. That's not bad. It's even 8mins less than it would have been when broadcast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NobodyPutsBabyInTheCorner
Recent bookmarks