What's new

IMDB Forums = rude and obnoxious people (1 Viewer)

Jim Williams

Second Unit
Please forgive me if I put this in the wrong board. Has anyone here gone to the IMDB message boards? A lot of the people there are simply rude, intolerant, childish and obnoxious. I don't go there often, but when I do I usually leave with a sour stomach afterwards.

Thanks God nearly everyone on this board has a lot more respect and maturity when it comes to responding to other people's posts.

Sorry, I just had to rant about the IMDB boards and commend the people on this board.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
IMDB is an example of an unmoderated forum, so it allows for anybody to post anything with no one to reprimand and stop them. It's also a place where nobody is listening--like the proverbial tree falling in a forest and no one's around to hear. Does it still make a sound? Who cares!

People like you and me, Jim, are plenty mature and intelligent enough to monitor ourselves--thank God for Ron, Parker and the rest of the administrators for taking care of those that aren't and thereby keeping HTF a place where the studios actually care what is said.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I agree. I rather post here in this forum where there is respect for others then in the internet movie data base.. Its nasty there.

JACOB

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I abandoned the other (RT) forum I used to post in because of the childishness and moronic threads. Makes me appreciate this place even more!

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: to Ron and Parker.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Yes, this forum is a dream and something I visit every day. Thank you. Enter imdb message boards at your own risk.

Jim Williams

Second Unit
You are right about that one Rob. It went downhill really fast. It seems like the majority of IMDB posts degrade into a childish, immature rant with no point. I use the IMDB often and I would have thought that it would be one place to have an intelligent discussion about movies and the industry. Obviously that is not the place. Too bad, IMDB has such great potential.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I have a roomate who frequents the IMDB message boards and he thinks it's a good place for info. Then again, he thinks Pearl Harbor is a great movie. :)

I don't read their message boards because just about everyone there is an idiot who can't spell worth shit and has to use acronyms for just about every word.

That kind of stuff makes me glad that the HTF is run by a couple of cool guys and moderated by a bunch of kick ass people. Thanks to Parker, Ron and all the mods for making this an oasis in the wasteland of the Internet!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It's basically the AICN talkback on a site that's more respectable overall. Most the time the participants admit they are pre-teens. I wish there was a way to keep it off the pages via a user setting. Maybe there is a way. I never checked into it. As it is, I just avoid.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Trying to hold an intelligent conversation in something like the IMDb message boards is like trying to eat soup with a fork.

IMDb is an absolutely brilliant resource site. If you want insightful and civil movie discussion, you have to search out a site like HTF. Moderating a huge community is a big job, and sites like IMDb and RT simply don't have the time or energy to bother.

Fortunately there are other alternatives for those of us who don't want to talk about Freddie Prinze's ass or why you're a moron for liking a certain movie. Seems like lots of message boarders use the anonymity of the internet as an excuse to act like a resounding butthole. 90% of the movie-related message boards out there are all-but-worthless. And 90% may be a charitable estimate.

Tim_C

Stunt Coordinator
As much as I love the IMDB, I do have to agree that a lot of those who post on the forums do not say a whole lot for their intelligence. Of course there are some very intelligent people there, but most threads always just end up as flame wars, as someone else mentioned. I've noticed that basically every movie on their Top 250 has at least one thread calling the movie incredibly overrated (with a three word post to 'prove' their point) and at least one other thread claiming it's underrated (even movies in the top 25.) I can't really blame the moderators of the site though, there are so many different movie pages, each with its' own forum, that it would be incredibly difficult to moderate all of them.

It's a great site, I've found a lot of great movies I wouldn't have otherwise seen using the Top 250 and have often turned to it to find a certain actor's or director's films - but there certainly are (much) better forums on the internet (such as the HTF.)

Here people actually respect your opinion, write intelligent reviews, and don't say stuff like "This movie sux and those who like it are stupid monkies!!!1!"

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
You posted in the imdb boards expecting civilized discussion?

What is wrong with you?

;)

It's like the Yahoo boards, only with less wannabe neo-nazis blaming everything on Judaism.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

It's not childish since the majority of people there are actually children. I saw a thread once about Emma Watson (Hermione in Harry Potter) where the poster stated she hated the actress simply because her boyfriend thinks she is 'hot.'

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
What I hate most about IMDB's boards is that they put the posts on display on every movie page. So if you manage to scroll down accidentally, you can be exposed to all that garbage. This unfortunately happened to me a few minutes ago, as I was viewing screenwriter Steve Kloves' filmography and scrolled down more than I wanted to. And what did I catch a brief glimpse of? Some heartless bastard who posted a huge spoiler to Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (a book that I have not read yet) in the subject of his post. :angry:

Thank heaven for the HTF.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Actually, given the immaturity of the majority of the posters and the incredibly poor spelling/grammar/etc., I like the IMDB boards if I am feeling down.

There is nothing to make you feel more mature or educated or with it than reading some childish, inarticulate rant about whether or not a movie or TV show "sux." The flame wars are likewise a hoot, because complete strangers are insulting each other's intelligence, taste, and depending on how long a particular flame war goes on, hygiene.

It is just like Jeff Foxworthy was talking about in one of his stand up routines about family, that if you are feeling your family must be the biggest bunch of goobers in the world, all you have to do is go to a state fair. "After 15 minutes at a state fair you'll go, 'You know what? We're all right. We're dang near royalty!'" [paraphrase]

However, I do agree with all of you who have posted so far, it is nice to have a place to discuss TV or movies with people who are intelligent, articulate and have a real grasp of things such as spelling, punctuation and, oh yes, MANNERS!

Does that make US dang near royalty? ;)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The IMDB Forums are a wealth of humor.

I love the threads on "Birth of a Nation" where people keep stressing how "evil" and "diabolical" D.W. Griffith was for making the film. Even funnier is that most of these people are arguing about whether or not Hillary Duff and Jessica Simpson are hot in another thread.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Indeed - I was ashamed to have humanity in common with the people posting in that thread. Curiously, the messages posted by people that weren't deleted aren't actually much better than the ones that were deleted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks