What's new

IMAX sticks a fork in 3D (1 Viewer)

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...x-cinema-torn-beautiful-seaview-returned.html

Twas pretty sad to see the excellent Imax above in the south get destroyed only due to complaints from residents it was spoiling the view and they didn't like the building which actually was designed to reflect the sea and have a wave like roof top! We used to go to it when in the area and the presentation was top draw every time also getting look round the projection room.
The thing is there is so much building work around that area now taking place with blocks of tall flats obscuring just about everything in order to sell expensive property rather than leave a good quality Imax up which never failed to entertain. Other cinemas have also closed in the area as well sad to say and the decline continues over here.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm fortunate to have multiple IMAX theaters near me. If I didn't I would be making long drives very often.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...x-cinema-torn-beautiful-seaview-returned.html

Twas pretty sad to see the excellent Imax above in the south get destroyed only due to complaints from residents it was spoiling the view and they didn't like the building which actually was designed to reflect the sea and have a wave like roof top! We used to go to it when in the area and the presentation was top draw every time also getting look round the projection room.
The thing is there is so much building work around that area now taking place with blocks of tall flats obscuring just about everything in order to sell expensive property rather than leave a good quality Imax up which never failed to entertain. Other cinemas have also closed in the area as well sad to say and the decline continues over here.
I read the article. It wasn't open as a theater very long and wasn't that popular even when it was open:

The IMAX cinema complex...was built on the seafront in Bournemouth, Dorset, in 1998....

The IMAX opened in March 2002 but visitor numbers were disappointing and in January 2003 the cinema shed jobs and it was shut four days a week.

It closed for 'refurbishment' in Easter 2005 and never re-opened.

...the building was used as a nightclub, mock-rural pub and housed a KFC and Chinese restaurant after the cinema closed.

...Two years ago the complex was bought by the local council for £7.5 million...just to demolish it.
So for ~12 years of the building's 15 year existence it wasn't a theater at all.

It may have had a good presentation, but that was one ugly building. And it looks like the local council actually listened as:
...the site will become an open arts space.
So... maybe the IMAX "numbers were disappointing" due to locals boycotting the place, but it apparently wasn't that successful as a bar/restaurant facility either as the purchase price paid by the local council doesn't seem that high for a building of that size.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Haven't you heard? Superhero epics and space operas are passe now. People only want regurgitated black comedies and dreary depressing war movies! That's what Deadline says!

Eh. I stopped seeing anything in 3D in the theater or anywhere, I just don't enjoy it, for anything. I enjoy Superhero films, etc. but 3D not so much. Was there even a 3D version of Star Wars films? If so, I skipped it.

I don't know if dreary war movies is the right way to say it; we've seen some great ones I thought were pretty uplifting; and in the last two years, some of the best comedies have been primarily minority cast in comparison to a lot of the regurgitated dreck we're seeing in other comedies (The House and Neighbors 2 anyone?)

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
BTW, does anyone know what the first "big deal" studio 3D release of the "modern era" was?

"Avatar" gave the format a big shot in the arm but it wasn't the first.

I know I saw "Chicken Little" 3D in 2005 back when big screen 3D was a renewed novelty, but I can't recall if there were any other 21st century "big studio" 3D releases before it...

Chicken Little was the first of the new wave of digitally projected 3D movies. It was the first Real D movie, and one of the first converted to 3d movies. (Although it's better than a lot of early conversions because they used depth generated from the actual geometry).

2004's The Polar Express was an analog Imax 3D release, and 2003's Spy Kids:Game Over was released in anaglyph 3d.

Last edited:

WyattEarp

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
My pet peeve with today's movies is the lack of true color. When compared to the movies of yesteryear which were shot in Technicolor and VistaVision, etc.. the colorization today is so dark and bland. Chuck Anstey said it perfectly in his post. I saw all of the Harry Potter movies in the theater and paid the premium prices charged at the time and was always disappointed with the stark, bland, tinted color. Same with the Sherlock Holmes pictures with Robert Downey, Jr. Those are just two series that come to mind. Today, if I want to see vibrant color in a current release it seems that I'm limited to seeing animated films e.g. Kung Fu Panda or Despicable Me.

One would think that films of the Golden Age of Hollywood would be bland in color for lack of the technology available at the time, but the opposite is true. The color quality of the standard motion picture has diminished over the years.......................... not improved. The same goes for color TV shows of the 1960's like Bonanza, Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color, Hawaii Five-O, Mannix or even a low budget show like Gilligan's Island where the vibrancy just jumps out at the viewer.

I do believe that today's live TV broadcasts such as the ones found on the cable news shows have very vibrant color when seen on a great TV. I'm limiting my comments to the 21st century motion pictures and typical television shows. I understand the reasons why digital "video" is used vs. film, but I firmly believe the color quality is inferior. It seems like we're being cheated in that department.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
True and a shame so much colour is lost when it used to be the case of making certain the screens were full of colour and moreover illuminated. It wouldn't have been the first time I've exited a screening asking the manager to get the digital projector switched to high lamp power as often the early morning shows which are discounted tickets or have a very small audience are screened in money saving mode. Standards of projection these days are also dim by comparison to 30 years ago regretfully.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
All color is done with digital colorists nowadays. Digital coloring can be pretty damn cheap. If a movie producer tells a colorist "do it fast and do it cheap", they'll use one LUT to do the entire film.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
This is why I like watching anime in high-def: 2-D animation (the way I like it) with lots of light and a beautiful color palette:

28198134410_975a298f6a.jpg

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Maybe as HDR/Dolby Cinema catches on, more filmmakers will decide to revisit colorful movies. Who cares if movies like Batman vs Superman get HDR releases, it is still going to look dark and bland, but with darker darkness and more detailed blandness.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Interesting here is how it looked in the movie.

The-cast-of-The-Power-Rangers-Movie.jpg

But I agree, compared to the TV show, the movie has a darker feel and look.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Interesting here is how it looked in the movie.

The-cast-of-The-Power-Rangers-Movie.jpg

But I agree, compared to the TV show, the movie has a darker feel and look.

When I saw it in a theater, it looked much more like the picture I posted--very dark.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
LOL!! Sometimes when you have a 9 year old, you have to make sacrifices. This was one of those times. :)

(although the movie wasn't TOO horrible to sit through)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
LOL!! Sometimes when you have a 9 year old, you have to make sacrifices. This was one of those times. :)

(although the movie wasn't TOO horrible to sit through)

When my son was 8 or 9 (1999)... I took him and a bunch of his friends to see The Pokemon Movie. I really took one for the team with this one as all the other parents ran for the hills. A truly godawful experience! Easily the worst film I've ever seen.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I took my then two-year-old cousin to see Barney: The Movie. Mike, I've never seen the Pokemon Movie, but I can't imagine it being worse. (Can't imagine it being much better either!)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We were lucky with Barney. My daughter on first viewing of the show when she was 6 asked, "Daddy, why do the kids act so silly", and never wanted to see it again.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So, what a few of you are saying is that you have lost connection to an inner child?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks