What's new

IMAX Showing of Matrix Revolutions (1 Viewer)

Eric F

Screenwriter
To me the "letterbox" term sounds wrong for a theatrical showing. Do we call 2.35 films shown on a larger screen "letterboxed"? Why would this be any different?

It's just that there's no curtains big enough for an Imax screen. Maybe they'll start using them now that they're showing other than 4:3 material? Better than cropping anyways.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
I realize these days we're used to "letterbox" mostly re. video, but the term has been used for over 30 years for theatrical releases as well. For instance, the scope clips in THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT were letterboxed inside a 1.85:1 screen.

At any rate, for the purposes of this discussion, I think "letterbox" makes what we're talking about clearer than any other term.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i always thought letterbox was a reference to the shape of the image when origionally compared to the shape of a tv screen, back many years ago.

in other words wide movies were called letterbox because they were the shape of a letter envelope.
thats why when i see someone say letterbox 4x3 dvd, the phrase letterbox 4x3 seems an oxymoron to me.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Why would this be any different?
Because it is being shown on a 1.44 IMAX screen. The term letterbox applies whether is 2.35, 1.85, or 1.66.

Whenever any black bars are visible, this term is appropriate.

Regardless of what terms are used, the important thing is that there is NO cropping.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Saw Revolutions on IMAX, and it was pretty darn awesome! It was a 10 a.m. Saturday showing, and the frikkin' place was packed!

The Zion battle scenes made you feel like you were actually inside the Dock and fighting for your life. Flying through the mechanical lines were also impressive. Also, the Neo-Smith fight was pretty spectacular as well. Actually, pretty much the entire viewing experience was impressive.

I heartily recommend the IMAX presentation of The Matrix Revolutions!

ChrisA

Second Unit
I'm still choked up over the experience and look forward to going again. I bet tonights showings are all sold out already. I look forward to organizing a group of people to go for those I know that have not seen it yet... Some I have to get them to catch up on the first two yet... maybe next weekend. I wonder how long it will stay in IMAX?

I'm also a little bummed because it was the last movie... How long will it be before something that cool and unique comes along? I thoroughly enjoyed that trilogy and really miss the fact that no more Matrix movies are coming... and even if they do, I will be suspect of their quality. I enjoyed all 3 Matrix movies thoroughly... wow!

Dennis Gallagher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis T. Gallagher
THE print or the projecting of alien was awful. not sure if that was due to shoing on an imax screen or not.
spider-man was not a pleasant experience either. it was way too big and cropped to fit in the entire screnn size, unlike alien which was shown proper aspect ratio and just had blank area on the screen.
"Alien" and "Spider-Man" were 35mm prints; "Matrix: Revolutions" is a blow-up to 15perf 70mm IMAX (though as
has been much discussed here, a fair portion of the IMAX frame is left unused for this presentation. I wonder why
the studios just can't make 5 perf 70mm prints like they used to do back in the days when theaters had curtains and
real projectionists and didn't show 20 minutes of commercials before the movie).

For a comparison of IMAX and 35mm film frame size, check out: (they won't let me post a direct link yet)
"cinephoto.co.uk/imax_page_6"
35mm's just not designed to fill a screen that size, and
"Alien"'s very dark scenes made the effort even more difficult.

Dennis

ChrisA

Second Unit
I'm going again tonight at 10:00 p.m. as the 7:00 show was sold out for a while...

Not sure abut Alien, but for Revolutions, anyone here who has seen the IMAX version should attest that for all intensive purposes, the screen is 'filled' and I beg to differ that there is any appreciable viewing experience difference between a standard IMAX film and the 'leterboxed' version. The IMAX NASCAR preview plays before the movie, and that is incredible also... I didn't notice any significant difference in viewing experience between the opening 1.44 NASCAR preview and REVOLUTIONS. I guess I don't miss that part of the IMAX screen that is below sea level :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks