What's new

IMAX, Recommendations? Also, Super Speedway 2 is 1.85:1 anamorphic, other 1.85:1 ? (1 Viewer)

ChrisA

Second Unit
Hi I was wondering if people could post their recommendations of various IMAX titles. I am putting in an order for the new Super Speedway because it was always highly rated, and now comes in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen. Are their any other IMAX films that are 1.85:1 aspect ratio? Most imprtantly, I'd appreciate comments on people's TOP IMAX selections, as well as which one's to perhaps avoid. I'd certainly want to make sure I purchase the must have's. It looks like the NEW Super Speedway 2 and Mission to Mir are in the best of IMAX category. Opinons?
------------------
Link Removed

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Cropping IMAX to 1.77:1 is the worst of IMAX. Cheering the cropping of IMAX films to fit 16:9 screens is every bit as much 'Joe Six Pack' as cheering the cropping of regular theatrical releases to fit 4:3 screens.
Regardless of the choice issue, if I were to applaud a studio for including a pan-and-scan copy of a film on an upcoming release in addition to a widescreen transfer, I would be bashed and booed by the forum faithful. And I would deserve it.
If it ain't OAR, it's shit.
[Edited last by Michael St. Clair on September 22, 2001 at 02:22 PM]

ChrisA

Second Unit
I'm interested on opinions of the films themselves.
Thanks.
BTW, are there any more anamorphic widescreen IMAX films, please let me know.
------------------
Link Removed

DanL

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, there are some IMAX films that were originally filmed by normal means, and then cropped and enlarged to go to IMAX, so presenting them at 1:85:1 or whatever can be the OAR. One example being Fantasia 2000 which, if I recall, was made INTO an IMAX negative after being created on normal film. That aside, though, since we all don't have 3-story screens and projectors at home, being happy at the opportuniy to have a choice between 4:3 and 16:9 (ala Super Speedway) is nice. Jumping down someone's throat as some kindof anti-OAR person isn't really a logical reaction. If the choice is there, the viewer is ultimately the winner.

James Nguyen

Second Unit
correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the new Mach II Super Speedway DVD has the first version's presentation and aspect ratio on the disc as well as the new 16x9 cropped version.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
There are no other 16:9 IMAX films available due to the fact that is not the OAR. Of course you could always contact those who have the rights to the other films and request them to be Pan and Scanned or cropped to fill up a 16:9 display.

ChrisA

Second Unit
Nobody complained louder than me about Willy Wonka. Seems like you can't even post a question without the OAR patrol.
I would appreciate it if people could give opinions of their favorite IMAX DVDs and dissapointing IMAX DVDs
Thanks!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Actually, there are some IMAX films that were originally filmed by normal means, and then cropped and enlarged to go to IMAX, so presenting them at 1:85:1 or whatever can be the OAR. One example being Fantasia 2000 which, if I recall, was made INTO an IMAX negative after being created on normal film.
Ah, but Fantasia 2000 is not an IMAX film. It is a 35MM film that was blown up to IMAX proportions (albeit digitally) after an eleventh-hour marketing decision. If you don't believe me, ask the animators who worked on the film, who were all told that their work was for 1.85:1 35MM distribution.
As far as the rest of this discussion goes, HTF is a pro-OAR forum. Regardless of the choice issue, if people are going to praise butchery, they are in the wrong place to do it. If when MGM's DVD of 'Blown Away' was released, I posted a message stating: 'I am glad to see that a 4:3 pan-and-scan version of Blown Away was included on this release, where can I find other great cropped versions of Panavision films?', I would be flamed to pieces, and rightfully so. This thread is no different than my theoretical one, and does not deserve protection just because the release includes two different versions.
If it ain't OAR, it's shit, and this is not the place to promote it.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I'd appreciate comments on people's TOP IMAX selections, as well as which one's to perhaps avoid. I'd certainly want to make sure I purchase the must have's.
"Michael Jordan to the Max" is a fantastic disc, and a nice documentary/film, regardless if you're a Michael Jordan fan, or even a sports fan in general.
I don't have any other IMAX discs at all, so I can't compare it to anything. It's about Michael Jordan and basketball, so I'm not sure if the scenery is as breathtaking as some of the other IMAX films, like Everest or the space films, but I still love it.
I believe it's 1.85:1, and it's anamorphic. It's got a decent Dolby Digital soundtrack, along with a commentary from the filmmakers. There are four trailers, and two featurettes--one twenty-one minutes long, and the other two minutes long.
It's a rock-solid disc which is easily worth the $14.99 you should be able to pick it up for. Good disc for anyone to pick up, and a no-brainer for anyone that's even slightly interested in basketball and/or Michael Jordan. One of my favs.
-mwb-
------------------
Obi-Wan (to Anakin):
Why do I think you're going to be the death of me?
Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
May 22, 2002

AaronJB

Second Unit
I just watched Warner's upcoming "Mission To Mir" disc and it's both an excellent film and very nice DVD.
Also fascinating are "Beavers", "Stormchasers", "Dolphins" and "Discoverers".
One of the best sound mixes that I've ever heard in the format is from one of the more recent IMAX theatrical releases, "All Access: Backstage". Unfortunately, it doesn't seem as if any studio has this on their DVD release schedule. It would really be terrible if it didn't get a DVD release soon since the sound mix for the concert performances in the movie is amazing.
The one that I would avoid with be the upcoming home video release "Cirque De Soleil: Journey Of Man". Cirque De Soleil itself is amazing, but the film tries to stick a bland and pointless story in-between performances from the group.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I only have the Super Speedway and Stormchasers.SS is great as you know but Stormchasers was a dissapointment for me sound wise.
Both the DD and the DTS has audiable digital clipping in the dialog and surround channels.
And no it's not my rig it happens at low volumes too>
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Jim Reynolds

Agent
Chris,The list of IMAX films I've enjoyed is long,if you enjoy documentaries,nature,and science these are great movies to sit down and spend an hour of your time.Some of the movies I own are,Antarctica,Storm Chasers,Magic of Flight,Blue Planet,Dream is Alive,Alaska,Ring of Fire,Whales,Africa,and I have many more.I've enjoyed each one for it's content and have never thought I was short changed because I didn't see them in an IMAX theather.Pick up one that interests you and enjoy it.Good luck,Jim

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
"...and have never thought I was short changed because I didn't see them in an IMAX theather... "
...as documentaries go, there are tons of those that are better, more interesting, more instructive and enlightening than the generally very superficial IMAX shorts... 'cropping' the latter to make them into faux 'widescreen' flicks, just so they can be transferred to DVD anamorphically,
is disingenuous at best...
...the whole (and, personally, I would say only) point of seeing those films
is to watch them on the humongously large (but not wide!!!) IMAX or OMNIMAX screen as intended...
Just MNSHO, of course!...
. . .
redface.gif
. . .
[Edited last by Hendrik on September 22, 2001 at 10:16 PM]

ChrisA

Second Unit
quote: humongously large (but not wide!!!) IMAX or OMNIMAX screen [/quote]
Yeah, well once you make a 1:33 aspect ratio screen with a 1,200 inch diagonal screen, it is wide :)
I'll sell my CRT projector when they make 1.778 aspect ratio 3 chip DLP's that optically resolve 1080p and cost $15,000 or less. Then I'll project that son of a beeeotch onto a 300 inch diagonal screen! Someday soon hopefully!
------------------
Link Removed
[Edited last by ChrisA on September 23, 2001 at 12:05 AM]

James Corey

Stunt Coordinator
The first 'show-off' title in my collection was "The Living Sea" of the IMAX presentation from Image Entertainment. The combination of the stunning camera work plus the full workout that all 5 channels (plus .1 of course)provides a source of repeatable pleasure that does not become repetitious over time.
Apparently this title is now part of a box set that also includes The Discoverers, Dolphins, Flight and Stormchasers.
Sadly the other two IMAX discs from WB I picked up on the strength of this disc (The Blue Planet and The Dream Is Alive)pale in comparison.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
My favorite IMAX film is "Mysteries of Egypt." It is stunning on the big screen, but I don't know how the DVD version holds up.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
"Super Speedway" may be the best of the bunch. "Africa, the Serengeti"is also very good. The Dream is Alive is excellent, if you're interested in the space program. I saw Destiny in Space at the KSC Imax theater and am looking forward to the dvd. I am very interested in pre-Columbian America, but did not enjoy "Secrets of the Maya." The views were beautiful, but the treatment of the subject was superficical. Similarly, "Hidden Hawaii" did not impress me.
I want to add my voice to those who are surprised by the readiness of some 16x9 TV owners to favor pan and scan when it fills THEIR screen.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I'd have to agree Bill, it's almost like : "No OAR, No Sale . . . unless the OAR isn't widescreen, in that case have at it!"

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Has anybody determined whether there is more width on the new widescreen Super Speedway DVD?
Since IMAX is 1.44 (approx 13x9) vs a 4x3 set, a 16x9 set can show the full width and matte down the top and bottom less than true full frame movies. That's where the complication is, I think for some of us. Perhaps the anamorphic widescreen version should have smallish black bars on the sides?
I do have a widescreen set, but I guess it will seem quite wrong if someday down the road, movies like Casablanca will be available in 4x3 and 16x9 P&S on the same disc.

Users who are viewing this thread