What's new

Imax re-formatting?? (1 Viewer)

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Apollo 13 will also have to be trimmed for time, as it has a running time of 140 minutes. Just one more reason to keep my money in my pocket.

-Lyle J.P.

Jon.C

Auditioning
Where's the proof that these films will be MAR? I didn't see any info on that in the link.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/movies...pollo20q.shtml
"In addition, with dialogue cleaned up for Imax family audiences, we're not quite seeing the film that the director intended."
OK, so let's see.
The picture has been 'reformatted' from 2.35:1 to 1.66:1.
20 minutes were cut so that the 120-minute reel size of IMAX can be accommodated.
And the film has also been edited for content.
Yipee.

Declan

Second Unit
sorry but I haven't got to read all 3 pages but after reading page 1 I have to ask but you guys DO know that Apollo 13 was shot super 35 with a 4:3 version in mind for video release. This will be a limited print. Your not gonna buy this on DVD cause it will never be released. But whats getting me is that even though it is getting a 1.66:1 version for IMAX, the actual film is getting 20mins shaved off for time contraints on IMAX prints. As for AOTC, I would'nt mind seeing it on IMAX for the experience, but thats all it is...........an experience. It's not like you are going to go down to an IMAX theatre to watch 8 Legged Freaks or something. Theres a bit of fanactical OAR that gets me. I am sure that Ron Howard and Dean Cundey (DOP) signed off and gave their approval for the IMAX version. It would be a bit insulting of IMAX and Universal if it was'nt approved.
Personally I would'nt mind Apollo 13 in IMAX because I would be seeing (apart from a few P/S SFX shots) the whole frame. Remember guys and girls the whole point of IMAX is this HUUUUGGGGGGEEEEE screen, 8 stories tall, etc. I can live with can you imagine a scope version of IMAX. 8 stories high, 20 blocks wide or something. It would be far too imense and overpowering.
my 2c, take it or leave it :) :D

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I have to ask but you guys DO know that Apollo 13 was shot super 35 with a 4:3 version in mind for video release
Problem with that is the numerous effects shots were all shot hard 2.35:1 and there is nothing to unmatte.

Not that unmatted is OAR anyway, it's not.

Anyhow, the reformatted thing has been beaten to death, I just hadn't heard the news before about the editing for content.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks