IMAX 're-edited' Beauty and the Beast, time for a DVD petition?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Morris, Sep 22, 2001.

1. Phil Morris

Phil Morris Auditioning

It seems that Disney's Beauty and the Beast will be getting an IMAX release next year, and as a result of this will 'benefit' from some redrawn artwork and possibly even one or two extra scenes and segments.
    The major change seems to be the insertion of a Menken and Ashman song with associated animation - the title of the song is 'Human Again'. This could though create a problem in the narrative of the film as this sequence was apparently thought to slow down the film and was 'replaced' in some respects by the 'Something There' segment.
    The point I'm trying to get to is this: when the DVD is released (in 2002???), do you think it will include both versions of the film, just the original (unlikely) or just the 'new' version (likely)?
    I would hope that the DVD viewer would be given the option to select either the old or the new. If space doesn't permit that then maybe we could view the 'new' version but without any of the new sections. That way we can hopefully see the film as it was originally released.
    Bearing in mind that Disney hasn't yet announced any DVD details, and making a pre-emptive strike if you like, is it worth starting a petition now asking Disney for the option to view 'old' or 'new'?
    Thoughts anyone?
    Phil

2. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I honestly don't think a petition will do anything in this case. The added song is only two or three minutes difference from the original film. Let's be honest, it's not worth the money to do the seamless branching thing for only two or three minutes. It's a really nice song that was utilized in the Broadway version of B&B and, I think, will add to the picture. Why don't you wait for the IMAX version to come out before complaining about it? You might actually like it better than the original.

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I agree that it is WAAAAAAAY too early to start talking about petitions!
    BatB will be a Platinum Edition release. The 2nd one in the series, to be exact. As such, expect Disney to give it the full treatment that it is giving Snow White. Perhaps betting. Seamless branching is not out of the question, nor are any other methods that deliver both the old iconic version and the new IMAX version that's about to hit next year.
    Settle down and see what Disney does. Yes, they haven't always given us what we want in the past. But they, like other studios, have learned as they went. I am in favor of trusting them on this title until I know that they shouldn't be trusted.
    Let's cross our bridges when we come to them, eh?
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
    Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
    Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
    http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

5. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    I have confidence that Disney will do Beauty and the Beast justice next year with their Platinum Edition DVD release.
    That being said, I think that Disney needs to be aware that, no matter how good the edits and additions, the original release is in high demand and should be included on the Platinum release. It is not a terribly long movie, and with seamless branching, there is very little reason not to include both versions and please everybody.
    This movie is one of my most wanted on DVD because of the original version, not because of the new IMAX version. I can't wait to see the new IMAX edition on the gigantic screen, and I can't wait to enjoy both versions on DVD.
    ------------------
    My DVD's
    If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'd like to know how Disney is going to pull this off...The Sorceror's Apprentice looked HORRIBLE on the IMAX screen during Fantasia 2000's IMAX run.
    Before the segment started, I expected for the image to shrink down (like in other IMAX films that feature clips from 35mm movies).
    Disney could care less about your petitions, though. I sent a thick package of anti-Fantasia censorship signatures and a lengthy letter to them MONTHS ago. I have yet to receive a reply.
    They also never replied to someone else's petition to get Make Mine Music, Melody Time, and Saludas Amigos uncensored. That petition was sent a year ago.
    Even their customer service claim that it's the DVD players that make these "edits".
    The bottom line: If you want Disney to not edit something, you'd probably have to buy the film from them.
    ------------------
    P.S.: There's no P.S.

7. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

The footage of Sorcerer's Apprentice is also MUCH MUCH older than the Beauty and the Beast footage. Besides, wasn't BaTB the first Disney film that they colored digitally instead of with actual paint? I can't remember. They didn't use any special animation techniques or oversized drawing to do Fantasia 2000, because when it was first started it wasn't slated for an IMAX release. I don't even know if the new footage was even natively shot on the 65mm film or if it was all blown up 35mm.
    Anyway, hopefully Disney gives they're one animated "Best Picture" nominee great treatment (and maybe realize why it was nominated and nothing since then has been), and do give us the choice of which version. I work in an IMAX theater that's getting BaTB in January so I'll have plenty of opportunities to see the new version and see if I like it as much as the original (which I LOVE).

8. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer

Sean-
    Actually, Rescuers Down Under was
    the first Disney animated film to use computers to
    fill in the colors.
    Everyone else-
    I agree that it is waay to early to think about
    a petition over something you haven't even said.
    Secondly, I am just hoping (expecting, really)
    that they will include the Work in Progress
    version of the film on a second disc.
    I figure if you don't like the additional song,
    use that moment to microwave some popcorn or visit
    the bathroom.
    [​IMG]
    Mark

9. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    I strongly disagree with those who think it's too early to start thinking about a petition, or at least to let Disney know your thoughts on the matter -- with an October 2002 release date, assuming an elaborate special edition is planned, surely this DVD is already in production.
    It doesn't matter which cut is better -- the point is, some want the option of viewing the original cut on the DVD. It has nothing to do with "waiting to see" how the new cut plays, or going to pop some popcorn when the new scenes appear. When is this hitting the IMAX theaters? June of 2002? Well, with the DVD coming out four months later, and millions of copies to manufacture, it will probably have already been pressed by the time the film hits theaters.
    NOW is the time to let Disney know what you want on this DVD -- not after all the special features have been finalized and announced (and you know they're not going to make any announcements until everything is finalized.)
    We're not talking about a censorship petition, where corporate higher-ups have decided it would be bad for the company's image not to excise racist material. Their minds are made up on that one. We're talking about what we want on the DVD -- something that is still in the planning stages.
    Obviously, Disney HAS heard us in the past -- SOMETHING made them take greater care with their DVDs. I say, if anyone wants to have the option of watching the original cut of "Beauty and the Beast" on DVD, or having the "Work In Progress" included, you need to let Disney know that soon.
    [Edited last by Brian W. on September 23, 2001 at 03:43 AM]
    [Edited last by Brian W. on September 23, 2001 at 03:45 AM]

10. Phil Morris

Phil Morris Auditioning

Brian W - well said, couldn't have said it better myself. [​IMG]
    That's exactly the point I should have made in my initial posting.
    Phil

11. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

The LARGE SCREEN FORMAT version of Beauty is beautiful...
    It does not exhibit any of the flaws that FANTASIA had.
    I have seen this...
    Dugger

12. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

To answer your question Brian, the IMAX release begins January 1st, 2002 -- just like they did with Fantasia 2000. Hopefully we'll get a trailer soon to attach to one of our current films so I can get a glimpse of it.

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I also hope they release the "Work In Progress" version of this film. I have the LaserDisc (which had a 100% rot rate - so Image/Disney replaced mine with a pristine re-pressing) and I love it. Knowing how "all-out" Disney seems to go with their SEs I wouldn't be surprised to see this very educational version of the film on DVD.
    Both LaserDiscs are breathtaking with some of the best audio I've ever heard in a movie, regardless of format (the LaserDiscs are PCM stereo/prologic). If the DVDs hold up as well as the LDs you all are in for a treat.
    I love this movie.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    Pat's the best!™
    AIM: PhilBiker
    click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!

14. Rod Martin

Rod Martin Stunt Coordinator

Rod
    I cannot tell you how disappointed I would be if they released BatB WITHOUT Work In Progress. Not being able to afford Laserdisk back then, Work In Progress would have been the "killer app" that made me buy a LD, had I the money.
    I had to settle for an $80 box set that included WIP on VHS.

15. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'll be happy so long as both viewing options are available - and the OAR is available from the original release (I suspect IMAX will have a different AR).
    I would also love to have the pencil test version on a second disc. However, I doubt this would be a selling point for many, and I'm not holding my breath.
    ------------------
    Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
    Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
    View SpaceDog's DVD Collection