What's new

IMAX Features (1 Viewer)

I noticed that this summer a number of the big films are also being released in the IMAX format. Is there a limit to the length that an IMAX film can be? Specifically will the IMAX version of the new HARRY POTTER be the same length that the standard version will be or will it be edited for time to fit IMAX?

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I believe (though don't quote me on it), that Harry Potter will not be cut. It is going to have one huge platter though :)

The theater I work at is more than likely running it and we'll be getting a new, secondary reel-unit that will be able to accomodate the larger platter (and enable us to not have to rewind the film).

However, be warned. The only company that's done good by prints for IMAX is Disney. They make (or at least did for Fantasia2000 and Beauty and the Beast) two prints, one for flat screens and one for dome screens. In order to cut down on the distortion on a dome the bottom of the visible image needs to be flush with the bottom of the frame, or else there's a "hump" in the middle of the front of the dome. These theatrical films that are letterboxed for flat-screen IMAX presentation look awful on domes since the visible image isn't on the bottom of the frame, and Lucasfilm didn't see fit to make a separate dome print for Star Wars, so it looked horrid on the dome, and I don't believe WB is making a dome print for HP either. And since HP is an even wider ratio than Star Wars, the black bars are bigger and hence the distortion is even worse on the dome - I can't even stand to look at the trailer on the dome.

We'll see if WB gets smart about it or not - then again the dome market might be so small that it's not really worth it for them.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
And I'm going to be the first one to say bullshit to that comment.

Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions in IMAX. Both in their OAR of 2.40:1.

Enough said. That makes me trust WB enough for an IMAX print of Harry Potter.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
And I'll be the first to say you should read the entire post before replying as I was speaking in relation to dome theaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks