IMAX DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Keith M., Aug 20, 2004.

1. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

I was interested in others opinions of the IMAX dvds they own or have seen.

I currently own:

Michael Jordan
    Beavers
    Super Speedway
    The Living Sea
    T-Rex - Back to the Cretaceous

Please recommend others based on audio/video/content.

Thanks in advance...[​IMG]

2. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

BTW, Here is a list of potential IMAX dvds im thinking of purchasing:

SPEED
    MAGIC OF FLIGHT
    DOLPHINS
    LARGER THAN LIFE SET (3D)
    JOURNEY INTO AMAZING CAVES
    LOST WORLDS-LIFE IN THE BALANCE
    MYSTERIES OF EYGPT
    MYSTERY OF THE MAYA
    AMAZON
    ADV.0WILD CALIFORNIA
    THRILL RIDE (IMAX)
    EVEREST
    GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS

Comments about these and others would be appreciated

3. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

I recommend Africa - Serengeti.

4. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

The Living Sea is astoninshing. Sound track by Sting and narration by Meryl Streep. The Coast Guard chapter is demo material. Outstanding!

As a diver, i also really like Coral Reef (better than Barrier reef) and Amazing Caves.

Serengeti, with narration by James Earl Jones is a must have.

5. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

The Larger Than Life set includes:

AMAZING JOURNEYS
    ALASKA: SPIRIT OF THE WORLD
    AFRICA: THE SERENGETI

Maybe Ill purchase this boxset first.

6. Steve Bragg

Steve Bragg Stunt Coordinator

Wasn't there a Special Effects IMAX film that came out in 1996? It had some Star Wars footage and what not. I wonder why it has not been released.

7. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

I'd avoid the T-REX DVD as it doesn't contain the original 3-D version. Neither does GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS, but the extended version makes it worthwhile.

8. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

You have my sympathies. [​IMG]

I work in an IMAX theater, so I've seen a good number of these films. However, the only one I own on DVD is "Mysteries of Egypt" just because I really like the score and film itself - but the disc I have is a horrid transfer, but maybe there's a better one out by now, I have no idea.

Generally speaking, any McGillivray Freeman film is worth the price of admission. The McGillivray films I've seen are:

Dolphins
    Journey Into Amazing Caves
    Everest

I love them all, with Dolphins and Caves besting Everest for me just because they're a bit more science oriented, but Everest really is a pretty thrilling documentary kind of film. Dolphins and Caves are like a couple of films I talk about below - you probably won't really learn anything new - but the Freeman films are so well made and engaging, regardless of how much you might know about the subject beforehand, I feel at least these three are must buys if you are looking for IMAX films on DVD.

Some of the other IMAX films I've seen (most of them over 50 times each!!), and my comments follow (please note I won't be commenting on quality of DVD transfer or sound since, as I said, I only own "Mysteries of Egypt" on DVD).

Lost Worlds: Life in the Balance: I remember really liking some of the later scenery, and this one fly-through of a sewer that had some great surround in the IMAX theater, who knows how well it would work on a smaller, non-dome screen.

Mysteries of Egypt: As I said, I like the mood of it and the score, but you're not going to learn anything really new about Egypt from it. This is hard for me to give a yay or nay to, as it does have kind of sentimental value for me since it was the first IMAX film I ever saw [​IMG]

Amazing Journeys: Ehhh, definately on the bottom of my list, shows a bunch of migratory behavior of a variety of species. I felt it was clunky, both technically and thematically.

Africa: The Serengeti : Watching it at home this is probably no better than seeing any other Discovery Channel special on Africa. The main thrill with the show were the massive herd shots and how they played on the huge IMAX screen, which is probably lost at home.

Super Speedway: I hate racing (NASCAR anyway) and I really liked this film (I do hate the new NASCAR Imax film by the way). Some good science showing the engineering behind the cars and everything. The DVD release of this is very good too - though I'm not sure how they handled the OAR as apparently it is a widescreen DVD. (EDIT: I don't know why I confused this movie initially, anyway, the title's right now!)

Thrill Ride: Like the Africa movie, nothing you don't already know (and is probably a little dated information-wise at this point), and the main thrill of the film were some roller-coaster and ride footage from a 1st person perspective being played on the huge screen.

9. Brent M

Brent M Producer

What about Super Speedway: Mach II? I've heard it's awesome with great video and audion.

10. AnthonyR

AnthonyR Agent

I purchased Super Speedway and I wish I saved my money...this IMAX DVD is boring! The Living Sea is GREAT.

Tony

11. Michael Qualen

Michael Qualen Stunt Coordinator

Yeah...the MACH II versions gives your sound system a good workout...and the sense of speed is pretty cool in the driving scenes...

all in glorious DTS sound *droool*

12. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    I'd like to chime in on that Special Effects IMAX film. I'd LOVE to get that on DVD.

Mike

13. Matt Leigh

Matt Leigh Stunt Coordinator

I think the scene in it that shows the beginning of A New Hope with the Star Destroyer chasing the Blockade Runner is a different effects shot than what was seen in the original movie and the SE. I remember the background starfield enhanced with spiraling nebulas and other distracting elements like that.

14. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

Yeah, that Star Wars shot was filmed just for the "Special Effects" IMAX film. I wouldn't bother with it though, I don't really like the movie all that much.