What's new

Imax 3D...what type of glasses? (1 Viewer)

MikeDE

Second Unit
Imax has just put out several 3D titles, but what type of glasses they use isn't spelled out. The ads mention a coupon is included for getting some type of "home 3D system", but doesn't say what that is. Will shutter glasses (like VRex) work for this, or would I have to spend a fortune for something else? Are there any other decent 3D dvd's?
Mike

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
If it's the same 3D system that IMAX uses for theatrical screenings...then maybe glasses isn't the right word!
The theatrical IMAX films use a heavy, thick helmet/goggles contraption that utilizes a liquid crystal viewing system.
Did I mention that they were heavy....
------------------
Link Removed

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hmm, the imax i went to had these glasses that were made out of plastic with a dark plastic lens on them... not heavy at all...
confused.gif

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
There are two different IMAX systems for 3D.
One uses the 'old' polarized lens system.
One uses the 'new' LCD shutter system. I think these also do additional sound through the glasses.
I think most places do it the 'old' way.

Lannie Lorence

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered the ultimate 3d box from bestprices.com. It includes the 3d system with (I think) 2 pairs of glasses and 3 dvds for $70. If you already have the dvds, I'm not sure where you get just the 3d system and glasses.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Am I to understand that there are 3-D IMAX DVD's available? I just went to the IMAX web site and all they list are VHS, and nothing about 3-D.

MikeDE

Second Unit
Just to expand on this...most video and dvd 3D use the old blue and red glasses. The effect works OK if it's done well. Unfortunately, it's still not that great and most of the movies done this way don't produce much 3D. The polarized (gray) lenses used in most theaters are said to not work well for true 3D on a television; things go back but don't pop out much. There are the heavy shutter lenses, like VRSurfer, that produce really great 3D on a television, but only a few expensive tapes are available. The Imax DVD ads just say there is a "home system", not mentioning just what type glasses they use. I don't want to spring for the whole set, but if they are compatible with any glasses I have around it'd be worth getting one to see what they're like. If you do a search for Imax 3-d on Amazon or the other online dealers, these new ones come up.
Mike

GregK

Screenwriter
The three (actually four) 3-D DVDs are technically
iWerks shot films, so while they use the IMAX LF
system and often play in IMAX theaters, they technically
are iWerks films that "played in IMAX theters".
wink.gif

The 3-D format used is the field-sequential 3-D format,
not the nasty red/blue anaglyph format. The discs would
be able to work with Vrex glasses, but the disc's copy
guard cause the older off brand Vrex (..Not the glasses
that come with the three pack) to mistrack or shut down.
If you own the Vrex "classic pack" shutter glasses & have
a way to eliminate the macrovision, they will work fine.
For more on the 3-D DVDs, visit this previous thread http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/032335.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks