Joe Goswami
My favourites for imaging :
1)DSOM - Pink Floyd
2)WYWH - Pink Floyd
3)BSS -Emeson, Lake, & Palmer
4)Signals - Rush
5)Hell Freezes Over - The Eagles
6)Seconds Out - Genesis
I could go on but this would become a huge list. My advice along with the other people on this forum is get a test disc with reference signals to "dial in" your system. Then have fun with with your stereo. Cause thats what its all about anyway.

PomingF

Second Unit
I know there have been talks about Steely Dan's Gaucho DTS-CD having the background vocals coming out of the surround speakers but I was surprise to hear almost the same effect when I play the same LP album on my TT rig in stereo. Now will that be a sound stage or image issue?
PF

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
That sounds like a system that images well. However, it's possible that this is more than just imaging, because it's possible that phase effects have been deliberately recorded into the music to create this effect. Of course, you would need a fairly phase-coherent system to be able to recreate the recorded effects, and if your system is relatively phase coherent at the listening position then by definition it should image well.
One example of such a recording technique is Q-sound. Famous examples of discs that are recorded in Q-sound are Pink Floyd's "Pulse" (live album), and one by Roger Waters, I think "Amused to Death". I think something by Madonna too. I have "Pulse", and there are passages (for instance, disc 2 track 8), where if I'm sitting in the right spot, the sound stretches across the full 180 degrees in front of me - if you listen to it with your eyes closed, it sounds like some of the music is coming from right beside you. I know this is in the recording, I don't know the details of how this is achieved. Maybe your Steely Dan CD uses something similar. I know there's a website somewhere which lists recordings using Q-sound, so you might try searching for it. It might be qsound.com or something like that, because I think the website is run by the people who developed/licensed this technology.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
whT I listen for are the cymbals in the beginning of "Crash", they all have a different sound and they're placed slightly separate from each other in space.
Yes Saurav you are correct...the cymbals do have a distinct sound. Just a great song...seems to test the highs, mids, and lows.

PomingF

Second Unit
Bob & Saurav, if you are into cymbals you should check out Jennifer Warnes' 'Bird on A Wire' in the Famous Blue Raincoat album. The cymbals are spread out across, up & down as well as back & forth the soundstage it's amazing. In fact Bob, I learnt about this album way back when I read Stereo Review's review on Def Tech's BP10.
Btw, Saurav I'm sure my Gaucho album isn't mixed with Q-sound for it's the LP version.
PF
[Edited last by PomingF on October 28, 2001 at 07:48 PM]

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
I must chime in and say that the Dixie Chicks Wide Open Spaces is shockingly good. And I'm not just talking about the chicks :)

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Btw, Saurav I'm sure my Gaucho album isn't mixed with Q-sound for it's the LP version.
Hmm... I don't know if the two are mutually exclusive. There's an LP of Pulse too, and I'm pretty sure that would be recorded the same way. Of course, I also don't know how old this technology is, so you're right, Gaucho may pre-date this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks