What's new

Imagine: John Lennon - when? (1 Viewer)

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JK
Now that Anthology has been released and they're working on Let It Be, I'd assume there would be more Beatles stuff on DVD in the near future.

Has anyone heard anything new about releasing this? I remember reading in a previous thread about this movie was being remastered for DVD. Anyone?

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
Also wondering what has become of this title. Wherever it is....it's LONG overdue for a DVD release!

John_bri

Grip
It was released on DVD 3 years ago but was discontinued shortly after that. Go to yahoo shopping under dvd's and type in "Imagine John Lennon" and there will be the spec sheet of Imagine. It shows that it was released in Jan. 2000. I guess it was not a popular title

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I think the 2000 release is The Making of John Lennon's Imagine Album. As the title indicates it is a documentary on the making of the Imagine album. The movie Imagine was a documentary of John Lennon's life. It is a completely different movie.

John_bri

Grip
No I wish I could give you the link but I'm new here but the actual documentary was released. I remember this specifically. But then it doesn't really matter because it's way out of print and the doc deserves better treatment

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I can assure you that the film Imagine: John Lennon, though listed as coming at certain dvd sites, was never actually released. Imagine is a real film that was made at the time of the album (1971), but is not the later film with the longer title.

John_bri

Grip
Ok believe what you want believe but I know for a fact it was released and if you actually look it up and do the research you will come up with the same results. Imagine: John Lennon is the late 80's documentary and the more notable of the two (other being Imagine). Just look it up, don't have fixed answers on questions you didn't research.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
John,

Have you seen anybody with this in their hands? I was following the supposed release of this and was ready to buy it the week it came out. That week came and it wasn't there and sites that had it listed changed the date to some future date, and it has never materialized. I guarantee you if it had actually been released I would own it.

Go here. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095360/dvdNotice that this dvd was cancelled, not simply out of print. If you can find any documentation whatsoever that this was actually ever released (not just slated to be released), then please post it.

Here's another site. http://www.sinacity.com/item/6_63047...130_index.html You'll see customer reviews. This may lead you to think that the dvd was released. It wasn't. Those reviews are from people who saw the movie, not the dvd. Notice the release date: 01 January, 2010. It's a dummy release date because the dvd was NEVER released.

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
A great film that I have been waiting for. I will pick this up as soon as it is available.

"He was my husband. He was my lover. He was my friend. And he was an old soldier who never gave up". Yoko Ono

I think that was the quote she gave. Chokes me up every time.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Never released on DVD!

Trust me! I would have had it in my collection!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The Digital Bits reported today that Warner announced Imagine: John Lennon for Dec. 6! Woo-hoo! This has been on my most-wanted list since I switched to DVD in the late 90s.

The Bits had word on some cool extras too. It's a very pleasant surprise that this one is coming soon!

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Anamorphic widescreen...hmmm... How was the original theatrical release - soft-matte? All the old film and video footage was shot for television or full frame 16mm (Imagine-LP documentary footage) I don't know if a widescreen release to emulate the theatrical release is such a good idea in this case...

Which leads me to wonder if Let It Be, although theatrical in the end, was to be a TV project - would it be better full-frame as well? (slightly off-topic, here...)

Paul D G

Screenwriter

Yeah, this is one of those iffy releases, like Koyaanisqatsi. The original materials were mostly 4:3 (new interviews might have been filmed wide). So a 16:9 release would be cropping out part of the image. I still have my laserdisc of this (which I've been recently thinking of digging out to xfer to DVD. Glad I never actually got around to it!)

LIB was filmed 4:3, cropped for WS, then cropped AGAIN for home video!

-paul

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Holey Moley!

This is great news about the John Lennon DVD.

Long overdue!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
(George Kaplan and Ron Epstein are right: it was announced by Warner, even had a cat. no. (11819), and then got cancelled. Instead Capitol released 'John Lennon: Gimme Some Truth: The Making Of Imagine' (04/07/00, cat. no. 492349 9 4).

I ordered it, and this history is still in my files.)

Great news!

Cees

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
This is great news. I haven't seen this film in years and it was on my documentary DVD wish list (along with CNN's Cold War - when with that ever make it?)

I nice bonus would be VH1's the Last Days of John Lennon. Though if it was their production, that would make it a Viacom property, so I doubt it would be in the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks