What's new

Image's Stalker-- any reviews? (1 Viewer)

Russ Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
My copy of the new Image release of Stalker is in transit. Has anyone seen this yet? If so, can you let me know what your impressions are regarding sound quality (I understand the original mono soundtrack has finally been included), image quality and framing?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I also would like to know if the 5.1 remix is the same really screwed-up one from the original Ruscico release, or if it's the less screwed-up one that's on the Artificial Eye port of the Ruscico disc (with the Beethoven restored and the newly recorded sound effects deleted, etc.).

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Agh! Forgot about this release. Guess I'll wait for a review now. Anyone?

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
I have posted my review with screen captures here:

http://207.136.67.23/film/DVDReview/stalker.htm
Excuse the slow download, it is loaded with images...
Excerpt:
I suppose it is appropriate to get overly sensitive about the slight details of the work of such a great artist like Andrei Tarkovsky. It somehow relates to his own cinematic attention to minute detail. The original 'Stalker' DVD released by RusCiCo (The Russian Cinema Council) had a remix of the original mono converting it to a 5.1 surround soundtrack. They did not include the mono track. For many obvious reasons this was totally unacceptable to his fans. This disc from Image however, includes both tracks so that the listener can choose. I can state for myself that this difference makes it two entirely different films. In piecing together the puzzle of a film of this nature, every minute detail is intricate to the expresson presented to the viewer. Tarkovsky and his legion of fans were aware of this, but obviously RusCiCo were not. Once familiar with the grandeur of this film, it becomes infinitely fascinating to flip back and forth on the fly between soundtracks. It's almost like watching two different films.
The image quality of this DVD is by no means perfect, but in my opinion it is very good and blows away my VHS copy. I love journeying through the extras. I was especially fond of the manner in which the short film, "Memory" on Disc 1 was developed. It is EXTREMELY "Stalker"- like in its camera and sound, moving between black + white and color images. The whole disc is fascinating. My favorite purchase of the year! 5 out of 5 .
Cheers,

Stacie

Stunt Coordinator
Granted, I don't pay close attention to these things, but I didn't even know this was out! My favorite Tarkovsky film!

Something to add to the Christmas list...

Thanks for the review, Gary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks