Image's Legend of 1900

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mario Bartel, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Mario Bartel

Mario Bartel Stunt Coordinator

Image's release of The Legend of 1900 has been out for a couple of weeks now, but nary a peep here; kinda odd considering there was a bit of discussion about this film a few months back.

I bought the Canadian-exclusive Alliance/Atlantis disc when it was released earlier in the Spring, but the transfer is somewhat lacking, both in extras and video quality. Has anyone picked up/watched the Image version? I know it's not the longer Euro-cut of the film, but it does have a DTS track, and some sort of music video extra; how is the video transfer?

2. Tom B. Stones

Tom B. Stones Stunt Coordinator

3. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

"...The IMDB lists an original Italian running time almost 40 minutes longer..."
    ...the splendid two-disc Italian CE is the only complete version available... since this is an Italian-made English-language movie, I heartily recommend it to those people who are equipped to play Region 2 PAL DVDs...
    http://www.dvd.it/index.cgi?sid=9988...ms=Y&arti=6479
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

4. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

Image's Legend of 1900 DVD came out just a week ago today. I did a brief write-up on it then.
    http://www.startribune.com/stories/459/2893915.html
    The DTS/DD 5.1 sound and anamorphic video are the best reasons to pick it up. There's an alternate two-channel audio track with Ennio Morricone's award-winning isolated score, but it, unfortunately, also includes the movie's sound effects. (I'm not sure who'd want that combination--certainly not film-score fans.) The music video for Lost Boys Calling (words and vocals by Roger Waters, guitar solo by Eddie Van Halen, music by Morricone) is an OK extra, but the song has little to do with the movie.
    It's too bad that Image missed the opportunity (maybe it was a rights issue?) to include the longer Italian cut of the film. But to be clear, the Image DVD contains the cut of the film that was shown in U.S. theaters and everywhere else outside Italy.