Image -vs.- Anchor Bay

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Huffstutler, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Let me start by saying There is NO comparison between the two from what I see but still a bit puzzled.
    Two titles were released this week - Can't Stop The Music through Anchor Bay and S.O.S. Titanic through Image.
    The puzzling part is that both films came out within a year of one another (1979-1980), both made by EMI studio and distributed by AFD and both sport the Studio+Canal logo. Both DVD's are in their OAR and says 16x9 enhanced.
    Why then is S.O.S. Titanic lacking so much that the other title doesn't? I mean it is grainy, soft at times, fades in and out, has negative flaws, and contains no extras where as Can't Stop The Music almost appears flawless.
    Also, why would these two movies from the same studio from the same time frame end up at 2 different DVD distributors with Image's release costing more than Anchor Bay's?

2. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

3. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    Bill McA
    I do remember seeing S.O.S. Titanic on television BUT if this was a "made for TV" movie, wouldn't there have been a "made for TV" studio making it? Someone like ABC, NBC, CBS, or any of their production outlets?
    Note again that BOTH films, including the BIG BUDGET one you elude to, were done by the same studio.
    Also, the "Big Budget" movie only had one real (minor) actor in it where as S.O.S. Titanic was an all star cast.
    Can't Stop The Music had a $20 million budget but only brought in $2 million. Hardly "big budget" by any Hollywood standard.
    And, if S.O.S. Titanic was a television movie, I doubt they would have made it in Widescreen as with this case here [​IMG].

4. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

EMI produced several other TV movies/specials, as listed on the &&tv=on&&heading=18;produced+by;EMI+Films+Ltd.+[uk]]IMDb.
    Two Friends is another older TV movie I can think of that was released on DVD in widescreen...not a surprise, since it made the film festival route. S.O.S. Titanic very likely may have done the same...
    I personally consider a $20 million film from 1980 to be a big-budget production. Star Wars Episode I it's not, but $20 million dwarfs a considerable portion of films being produced at the time...

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Two points were left out:
    1) Many TV-movies at the time were filmed widescreen in the event that they could be shown overseas in theaters.
    2) CSTM wasn't anticipated to be a "flop"; it was produced by the same guy who produced Grease, after all. Starring a hot musical group at the time (who then could know that the genre would soon be declared dead?), a hot babe of an actress who had been nominated for an Oscar a few years back, a big Olympic star who ought to have brought extra appeal and attention to the whole shebang, and a then-minor comedian that noone realized would go on to become a "star" in any sense of the word. And yes, $20 million was a LOT of money to invest. I think the poorest choice was to get the thing directed by the Bounty Towel lady (Nancy Walker), but apparently there was a relationship... [​IMG]
    Still, I enjoyed this fine piece of cheese and grabbed it immediately. Sooner or later I'll grab S.O.S. Titanic for a number of reasons, but not before A) the price comes down, and B) I get CC's A Night To Remember.

6. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

Steven Page

7. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

8. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    I guess most people are missing the core of my question.

If CSTM was made in 1980 by EMI and SOS Titanic made in 1979 also by EMI and distributed by the same companies... AND both DVD's list that they are enhanced for 16x9 televisions, why aren't they close in quality other than IMAGE and ANCHOR BAY handling the DVD releases? I am sure EMI used the same film stock, same techniques since it was built up as an extravagant movie and had major stars, and was on the heels of one another so again, why the differences?

Possibly CSTM was in a similar condition but Anchor Bay took the time to restore their print where as Image didn't but still charging more for less. I also wonder if each knew they had prints from the same studio coming out on disc the same time, why they didn't try to match each others quality (marketing)?

9. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer