Image Quality Question

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Greg Perkins, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Greg Perkins

Greg Perkins Auditioning

I have a BenQ 6100 connected via a Denon 1803 receiver to an LG DVD/VCR Combi. I am using component video cables. I have noticed what I would call a problem while watching any fairly dark movie like the cave scenes in LOTR and a lighter object appears such as a face. The skin colour seems to have distinct shades with lines separating them rather than having a smooth appearance. This effect lasts about a second and then disappears. If the image moves these lines reappear for a second before disappearing. I have noticed this only on very light colours. I hope I am explaining this properly. Any ideas?

2. Brent Smith

Brent Smith Agent

Hi Greg,

Have your properly calibrated the projector to your TV region's standard? It also possibly could be that the brightness is pushed way up and thus the DLP (this unit only has one) can't compensate fast enough for the brightness, motion and the colors it needs to represent at the same time. I hope I gave you something you can twiddle with on the projector cause most folks do seem to enjoy it.

TTYL,

C. Brent Smith

3. Greg Perkins

Greg Perkins Auditioning

Thanks Brent

I'll try that later. I did use the THX optimiser found on Finding Nemo and Pirates of the Caribean to set up the video. I'll try the projector default settings and see what happens.

Greg

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

These thin lines or stripes re-appear when anything in the scene starts moving and disappear about a second later when everything becomes stationary? (regardless of being confined to the area of motion or occurring throughout the picture)

Sounds like inferior scaling and/or de-interlacing.

You may have some luck adjusting contrast and brightness since it is possible the deficiences of the de-interlacer and/or scaler occur only at the extremes of the dynamic range accepted by these sub-components. Can you adjust contrast/brightness at the DVD player?

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm

A DLP or LCD projector whose native resolution has a different number of scan lines/rows of pixels than the source will always have a scaler inside. If it accepts composite or S-video or non-progressive component video it will always have a de-interlacer inside.