Image quality of Archos AV300 PVR?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Michael-Engle, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Michael-Engle

Michael-Engle Auditioning

Jan 16, 2004
    Hello all. Excellent forum you guys have here. This is my first post on the forums, so I thought I would start with a question that I have been dying to find the answer for. I hope I am posting this in the right place:

Can anyone tell me what kind of video quality one of the new Archos AV300 series portable video recorders have? Specifically, I would like to buy one to record several foreign dvds I have using the built-in recorder function of the Archos so that I can show a few subtitled movies to my family when I visit them the next time (I currently live overseas). I was hoping maybe someone here on the forms actually owned one and could tell me what the video quality is "really" like when hooking it up to a television. I am not looking for VCD quality playback, but better.

My family has about a 27" inch tv if that information matters. Thanks in advance to anyone that could offer an advice.
  2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Feb 12, 1998
    I edited the thread title to include the model of the PVR you're asking about. Haven't seen any discussion of it around here, but with the name in the title there's a better chance that someone who's familiar with it will notice the thread.

3. martyTeboe

martyTeboe Extra

Jan 22, 2005

I purchased one of these for my son this past Xmas.
    Personally, I was impressed with the playback on an SD TV. I've not yet plugged this in to my JVC Plasma, and that'd be the real test, but as far as normal playback is concerned, I found it to be nearly broadcast quality, with a minor amount of artifacting. Not enough to be distracting, but it's there.

I think that if you're looking for something that would require S-VHS or DVD quality playback, it's a year or two away. If you want something to keep the kids busy in the back seat, there's probably a better option there, too. If you want your 12-year-old to be the envy of all his friends, and don't mind spending $600 to do it, then this is clearly your unit.

My recommendation, after seeing how quickly the 20-Gig model fills up, is to spend the extra cash to buy the 80 gid model.

Good luck,