Image problems with my HDTV set.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EnzoP, Jun 17, 2002.

1. EnzoP

EnzoP Auditioning

Hi, I was wondering if you guys could help me out on this issue I am having with my Pioneer SD532 HDTV. Recently I've noticed that at the top right hand corner of the TV there is a redish outline around the right side of white letters and numbers. Moreover, a couples weeks ago I got a DSS system for the TV and I noticed that at the top right hand corner the picture tens to bend upwards. I only noticed this because of the DSS guide's interface, I can clearly see that the horizontal line is bending upwards. These problems are only occuring at the top right hand side of the TV. Does anyone know if I can fix this problem or does this TV set need to be serviced by a pioneer servicemen?
    The set is only 10 months old and I have never tried the 72 point convergence tool.

Also, yesterday, while the TV was on, I went to the back of the TV and noticed that there was a thin layer of dust on the red/green/blue lenses, is this dangerous for the TV?

I must admit that I am new to this stuff right now, so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Your set has drifted out of convergence, Enzo. Simple as that. Do the complete 72-point convergence, and plan on reconverging the optics every couple of months. And remember that when you move this thing around at all, you can count on the CRTs being knocked out of alignment.

As for dust, clean it off with compressed air. Yes, dust can be harmful when it is allowed to coat all the electronics; this makes it more difficult for heat to escape properly, and heat is the number one cause of death in electronics. You will also get a better picture if you keep the optics dust-free.

3. EnzoP

EnzoP Auditioning

Thank you Jack Briggs. I browsed the TV manual and figured out how convergence worked, it took a bit of time but I am finally done and there is no more red or blue outline anywhere. However, The problem where the horizontal lines bend upwards in the top right hand corner of the scren is still there.
    It can be especially noticed when watching 2.35:1 DVD's where there are black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.
    The black bar on the top screen begins to narrow as it goes from left to right. I measured the hieght of the black bar on the left side to be 2.5 inches and the right side to be 2.2 inches. The black bar on the bottom is totally straight except for a small small bend upwards near the middle of the screen. Can this be fixed in convergence?

When I was doing the multi-point convergence I noticed that there was a green glow at the outline of the bottom left hand side of the screen, near the side border. Also, The grid lines were not totally straight near the edges of the screen. What does this mean?

Thanks for your help in advance.

4. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

What you are describing are geometry problems. These are not fixed by adjusting the convergence; they are adjusted in the service menu. If you are daring you could figure out how to get into the service menu to adjust your own set but I wouldn't recommend it.

The best thing that you could do is to pay for an ISF calibrator to adjust your set. The results can be quite stunning depending upon how far off your set is.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Agreed. Michael, you have a sophisticated display here, and it's worth your time and money to invest in an ISF-level calibration. At this stage in your home-theater journey, I wouldn't recommend that you go venturing into the service menu yourself.

When the ISM man arrives, watch what he does and ask questions and take notes. Your geometry situation is quite correctable.

6. EnzoP

EnzoP Auditioning

whats an ISF-level calibration? How much does it cost?

Could this be covered by the Pioneer warranty?