What's new

image kind of dithers or disinigrates on camera pans on my dlp. What is this? (1 Viewer)

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
Is this dithering I am seing on fast camera pans rainbows? Or is this the screen door effect? I have a Toshiba dlp 52hm84 and love the picture on this set, except for this dithering type thing that happens during camera pans or a quick turn of the face. I notice this dithering most in the face of the person on screen when I get a camera pan. Is this normal for the dlp technology? I can live with it because it seems all the projection technologies have their hickups. Is my set defective or is this normal?

ScottLR

Stunt Coordinator
Gotta be rainbows. Is this a single chip set? The problems are much less with the 3-chip designs.

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
This set has the hd2+ dlp chip so I assume it is a single chip set. It seems there is good and bad to all these RP techn. right now, Is this true?

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I don't know if it's rainbows.

What Todd may be seeing is one or more of the following:

1. less than perfect de-interlacing
2. mpeg bit starvation (fast, sudden motion)

Actually, the more 'options' I come up with, they're just variations on the theme of 'bad de-interlacing.'

Are the problems you're seeing more on film sources, video sources, or both? Are you running your set on a progressive player, or..?

Leo Kerr

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
It seems to be just film sources on dvd. I have tried two different dvd players (cheap samsung and a denon 3910) on both component and hdmi and had the same results with both players on both inputs. The xbox games dont seem to do it. Movies like toy story and lion king dont seem to do it, just film. What is this and will a 3 chip jvc (dila I think) improve this?

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Hmm.

Since you're not seeing it on discreet sources (animation, computer graphics,) I'm wondering if perhaps you've not gotten a display that lets you see the 'poor' temporal resolution of film?

I'm really speculating here, so don't yell, scream, or shout, people...

If you pause the program and step through the frames, that should help you see if you're seeing software-based artifacting (24fps source,) or hardware based (???) artifacting.

Leo Kerr

Users who are viewing this thread