Image cut while watching a widescreen movie on 4:3 TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thik Nongyow, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

A few days ago, I watched the widescreen version of the movie "Shrek" and noticed that even though the picture is in widescreen format, some of the left and right parts (approx. 10% in total) of the picture are missing. I ran the movie on a 22" 4:3 analog TV set when this happened. The movie is in 1:78:1 anamorphic widescreen.

When I ran "Shrek" on my DVD-ROM using PowerDVD, I noticed that all parts that are missing on my 4:3 TV do appear on my PC screen. It was interesting that while the movie's menus are in widescreen by running PowerDVD, they were in pan-and-scan on my TV screen. I wonder how can this be?

I set up the DVD player correctly according to its instruction manual by setting the player to 4:3 letterbox, but from this some parts of the widescreen image are missing. Has it something to do with the width (22") of the TV set? Having an 4:3 instead of a 16:9 TV set? Or something which I am not aware of?

2. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Stunt Coordinator

Could be too simple...but did you play the right disc? Remember that the 1.78:1 version is on Disc 2.

Also, if only 10% of the movie is missing from the sides, this could be a result of overscan, which a PC will not have. Every TV has areas on the border of the set that are not visible, called overscan. 5% on each side is fairly common, and would account for what you saw.

3. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

To answer your question, I did use Disc 2. Anyway, it must be overscan and I suggested 10% as I do not know how much of the image was lost on the TV screen. The approximation may be correct or incorrect.

To let you know, the TV I use is a Sony Trinitron which was manufactured in 1997.

Now, I wonder why the DVD menus in "Shrek" are missing about 40% of the image, but the movie is missing about 10%.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Most discs will tell the player to crop the menu screens if it's set to 4x3, even if you pick letterbox. Don't know why.