What's new

iMac Speakers static (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
My iMac speakers have static or some other interference with them. I can't tell if it is coinciding with the hard drive operations or when it uses the wireless network. It also gets some interference from my iPhone.

Anyone else having this problem? I hate to initiate a $50 ticket with Apple to find out this is a normal issue.

I must be iMac jinxed. I've not realy had a positive experience with it. bought it because it was supposed to be easier for editing family movies and other projects. The Sony HD camera only has PC software so that pretty much blew me out of the water. I still can't figure out the logic of where the system stores photos from my camera and iPhone either. Why not the same place?? Still - I like to use it as my music server and the kids use it for schoolwork and online games ( keeps them off mine!) So I would like to resolve this static issue.

Any ideas?

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Nobody has experienced this? Or has everyone experienced this?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_L
My iMac speakers have static or some other interference with them. I can't tell if it is coinciding with the hard drive operations or when it uses the wireless network. It also gets some interference from my iPhone.
I don't know anything about this. Are these the built-in speakers or external speakers?

I must be iMac jinxed. I've not realy had a positive experience with it. bought it because it was supposed to be easier for editing family movies and other projects. The Sony HD camera only has PC software so that pretty much blew me out of the water. I still can't figure out the logic of where the system stores photos from my camera and iPhone either. Why not the same place?? Still - I like to use it as my music server and the kids use it for schoolwork and online games ( keeps them off mine!) So I would like to resolve this static issue.
Regarding where your photos and videos are located...This may sound weird and even condescending, but the best I can tell you is: stop thinking like a Windows user :) Don't worry about where they're at. Use iPhoto and iMovie to manage your photos and videos. That's their location (for all it matters to you).

As for your video camera: is its output format not compatible with iMovie? What about other Mac video software, like Final Cut Express? While it's seems the easiest solution for modest needs like mine, the Mac is not a panacea. iMovie doesn't handle DV formats correctly; a coworker is returning to the PC for video editing from his current DV camera. And some prefer those vendor-specific tools over iMovie.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Thanks for replying Dave. The iMac internal speakers are the ones with the static. I am suspecting it has more to do with the HD than the wireless. Streaming music from Pandora today had no static.

Regarding where the photos are; it really does matter - and they do not all go to the same place. Today I downloaded some photos from our digital camera and they went to the 'pictures' file, but when I opened iPhoto it did not have the photos anywhere. I looked at it was pointed to a 'Photos' file and I could not get it to change. I could not figure out how to point it to the 'pictures' file. (I am on a PC now so am going by memory) I think iPhoto was on it's own Photo file, but hell if I can find that anywhere. I ended up having to download the camera a second time with iPhoto. Then I wanted to post those photos to Facebook, and I found them in the 'pictures' file.(where the camera defaulted to the first time) I have no idea where iPhoto puts stuff and why it is not the same place as the default camera download location. Certainly NOT intuitive - a real PITA.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Use iPhoto to import your photos. You don't need to worry about where photos go. Share photos to Facebook with iPhoto. It has a feature for that.

I spent my first month with the Mac worrying about where photos and music where kept and trying to manually manage organization -- like I did in Windows. Then I realized that iPhoto (and iTunes) are the de facto Mac interface for photos (and music). I stopped fighting with the file system, switched to iPhoto exclusively, and life got better. Sending photos to Facebook or Picasa Web? I use iPhoto uploader tools.

And if you really need to access the file via Finder, use iPhoto's "Show Location" or "Reveal in Finder" (whichever it is called).

(Unfortunately, I have no experience with the speaker problem and can't offer any help.)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Dave - I just let the photos go wherever the mac wants to put them when I plug the device in. It would seem my mac has split personality when it comes to photos depending on the device; one place for iPhone and one place for camera.

Regarding the static - I finally figured out the solution and fixed the problem. I am almost embarrassed to admit what I found;

There were some old PC speakers in the cabinet which inadvertantly got turned on when my kids were moving their game cases around. These speakers are unshielded. I didn't discover them until I not only removed the iMac from the cabinet it is in, but also all the games (I was looking for a mini-jack cable)

Problem solved - and, as usual, the problem was user error...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_L

Dave - I just let the photos go wherever the mac wants to put them when I plug the device in. It would seem my mac has split personality when it comes to photos depending on the device; one place for iPhone and one place for camera.
Ah. I don't know anything about iPhone syncing of photos. Are they are not accessible through iPhoto?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Eric - it sounds like your iPhone syncs to iPhoto (based on a Google search, it normally does), but your camera runs some other software.

If so, next time your camera is connected, run the program Image Capture and set iPhoto to autorun when your camera is connected. Then iPhoto should be your sync app for all your photos. You shouldn't need to rummage about in the Finder anymore to find photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks