What's new

iMac crashes at least weekly, thoughts? (5 Viewers)

will_0407

Auditioning
Real Name
Will
I’d be getting it fixed under warranty, unless you just want an excuse to upgrade. ;)
What is the fault though? Has anyone ever found that out?

My Dad is now keen on the m1, so we may well order one of those soon, but I'd need to sell this 2017 imac on. I'd prefer to sell it knowing that it was just a software issue and a clean install would solve it (likely to put that theory to the test tomorrow anyway as it's happening more and more so going home to wipe it clean for him), but if someone knows this is a hardware fault I'm all ears!

will_0407

Auditioning
Real Name
Will
I’ve stopped running macOS updates the past 3 or 6 months. But I’ve got some issues accrued, I’m behind on security updates, and really need to reboot my machine.

So I updated from 11.1 to 11.4 this morning. And remarkably my iMac updated successfully! No crash and hang at the reboot! I left it updating and went to the gym. Came back and it was waiting at the login screen! Whew!

I was prepared to go buy a 24” iMac if this did it in. But, it lives to see another day, and I bought some more time for possible 27“ M1 iMac release.
Glad to hear yours seems to be sorted, hopefully not famous last words! Going to try a clean install tomorrow.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
After that 11.1 to 11.4 update, my iMac has seemingly been booting normally. I had to turn off the power yesterday (for some DIY home improvement), ran the latest Apple update, and my iMac updated and rebooted normally, and then again booted up after my power outage.

I have no idea how or why. It was manifesting serious hardware-like problems the past year. Now...normal?

Whatever, I'm happy. It means I'm no longer stressed about the risk of having a dead computer at any moment.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And now on 11.6 and my iMac is back to behaving correctly. Updates, reboots, everything is normal. There was a bad USB port, Ihaven't checked to see if it's working again.

I don't know what went wrong with macOS on my iMac back in 2020, but thankfully it's fixed and the computer remains normal. :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I might have said this before, bit a few years ago my home Mac Mini started having what appeared to be kernel panics. I assumed it was bad RAM and replaced it, but they didn't go away. After some OS update, they went away. It's the only time that's ever happened.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's very weird and, to me, inexplicable. But I'm relieved it was somehow a macOS bug.

Literally saves me $2500, not being in a rush to buy a new desktop now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eletkanrokn
Recent bookmarks